x

Brand-New Star Ethernet Printer Not Found

So I just bought a POS kit with the Square stand, cash drawer and ethernet/LAN printer (Star TSP100IIILAN) to go with our existing iPad, which we have been using as our POS system for a couple months now with no issues. I plugged in the printer to the AC power and the router, downloaded the TPS100III utility to the iPad as directed, but it failed to find the printer on the system. I walked through every step of the troubleshooting, turning everything off and on, making sure everything is plugged in...I even did the diagnostic that spits out a receipt showing that it does indeed have an IP address, so I know signal is getting from the router to the printer. I tried setting the printer up through the Square Register app on the iPad, and it wasn't found there either.

So I called Cox, my cable internet provider, and they sent a guy out, and he said it wouldn't work because they don't support "print sharing." Am I really going to have to buy a Bluetooth printer to get this stuff to work? If this is a common issue, I would think by now somebody on here would have run into it. I have wasted most of a day when I had plenty else to do messing with this and I am frustrated beyond words. Help?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Beta Member

Is that receipt printer or kitchen ticket printer?
Did you go to settings / hardware/ printers on square app?

Are you connected to same wireless network where printer is connected? (some places have more routers added.)

Message 2 of 8

Receipt printer. Followed factory instructions, which failed, then tried from the square settings as you asked, where it also failed. We only have one router, so yes.

Message 3 of 8
Beta Member

Huh, my suggestion that you probably won’t like would be to return that printer and get USB printer ( If you are using stand). They are plug and play.

Not having this issue in any square installation only thing  I would try would be to add one more wireless router.
Connect printer to LAN port and connect iPad to that wireless network.

With this you excluded your cox router and separated your square setup.  (I would reset printer to factory defaults).

I’m not sure are you tech savvy but this is only suggestion I have not  knowing  your complete setup.

Message 4 of 8

Thanks for the suggestion on the second router... That may be the easiest thing to try. Will give it a whirl and report back.

Message 5 of 8

So I went out and bought a second router and ran both the iPad and the printer through it and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the suggestions!

Message 6 of 8
Beta Member

I’m glad to hear that, my advice is to  always separate your business Wi-Fi  from anything else.

Message 7 of 8

I'm having a similar issue. I have a USB printer connected to my stand but need to set up a second printer for kitchen tickets. What do you mean you ran the iPad through the second router and that fixed the issue?

Message 8 of 8