x

Cup Count/ Inventory at a Coffee Shop

We just switched to Square as our full on processing system. For awhile we were using another service provider to ring up our drinks, gift cards, etc. and just using square to process credidt cards. With the switch, I am going to need a new way to manage my inventory. 

We track our inventory based on cup size. For example, if we have 20 large cups at the coffee shop, and we sell 5 of them, when we do our niglthy count we should only have 15 large cups left at the shop.

What is the easiest way to track cups on square? I was told when persuaded to switch over I would be able to do this in someway, but I cant figure it out. Thanks

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

you have a couple options.

Each cup size would be an item.  So you would have an item 16oz, 20, 24 oz and then you can track sales (and therefore inventory) of the items.

Or

You can have cup size be a variation under a single coffee item (see image below).  variations can have stock, modifiers would be more like the type of milk in the coffee.

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 3.02.06 PM.png

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Super Seller

Best Answer

you have a couple options.

Each cup size would be an item.  So you would have an item 16oz, 20, 24 oz and then you can track sales (and therefore inventory) of the items.

Or

You can have cup size be a variation under a single coffee item (see image below).  variations can have stock, modifiers would be more like the type of milk in the coffee.

Screen Shot 2018-01-26 at 3.02.06 PM.png

Message 2 of 14

I have it set up as variations right now.

When I print a report, will it say which item and variation was sold for each item/variation?

We arent offically going live until Sunday, so I havent had a chance to give it a try. Just trying to know what to expect and be prepared.

Thanks!!

Message 3 of 14
Super Seller

I'm not the best person to be answering as we don't use inventory features.  Maybe @RHatch or @pessosices could step in and give their knowledge of inventory.

Message 4 of 14
Super Seller Alumni

Yes, every variation reports like a separate item.

Message 5 of 14
Super Seller Alumni

I'm not super familiar with inventory either - we use ours in a roundabout way to track tubs of ice cream - although we are interested in doing something similar to the original question.

If the same cup is used across multiple items - is there a way to automatically track the stock of cups?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 6 of 14

This post was merged from "Adding same stock to multiple items". 

For instance a 12oz Latte and a 12oz regular coffee use the same cup.

How do I attach it to all my 12oz items to keep track of my 12oz cup stock?

Message 7 of 14

Hello @riveridecoffee, I went ahead and merged your thread since this question has been asked before. 

I recommend checking out @VanKalkerFarms answer above! 

Message 8 of 14

This comment was created from the thread "how to manage inventory components of food"

Greetings! We have a small concessions stand in our church that we use at select times. We have simple items like candy and drinks but also sell popcorn and hotdogs and nachos. I was wondering if there was a way to track how many hot dog and how many buns we have left after a night? I wasnt ure how to account for the inventory of the components. Thanks for everyones time and help in advance.

Message 9 of 14

Hello @JoshuaRock

I merged your thread since this question is quite similar. In your case I recommend making the bun as a separate item to add to a sale. That way you can track how many you sell. It just requires some accuracy from your cashier. 🙂

Message 10 of 14

This isn't really tracking inventory - it's just doing more work to track sales.   Is there an inventory report showing beginning balance, sales, purchases, adjustments , ending balance?

Message 11 of 14
Square Community Moderator

@ayoder Thanks for reaching out! It think you may be a good fit for our Square for Retail subscription, which offers more advanced inventory reporting and will account for any inventory adjustments you make in its cost of goods sold report. 

Let me know if this works for you and welcome to the Seller Community!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 14

Hi Everyone,

Since the questions in post were some good time ago, I'm looking for updated solution. I'm trying to add multiple cup sizes into multiple beverages and make my stock counted. When I add cups as a variation, it does not allow me to add the same variation to the different item and that is not doing any work with stock count.

On the modifier set I can attach it to different items, but modifiers wouldn't be to count.

Can you please help me how to get the stock properly added and counted. I don't want to add manually and ask cashier to check all options manually before she will complete the sale, there must be an easier option to just click one single preset option before completion of sale.

In short way- I wish to add 2 options to my coffee drinks- size of cups- 6oz, 8oz, 12oz  and also let's say 10g on the single shot of espresso so I can count how many coffee is left in stock.

I hope someone will help 🙏 

Message 13 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hello and welcome to the Seller Community, @Bakebarn

Using Variations, like the solution shared in the best answer in this thread, would be the best option here. You can add the same Variations to multiple items - e.g you could offer a Cappuccino is your 6oz, 8oz, 12oz cup sizes, and offer those same variations on a Hot Chocolate. Variations are also tracked in your reports so you know how many 8oz Hot Chocolates you sold, for example. Let us know where you're stuck with variations, and take a look at this guide when you get a chance. 

In regards to tracking components used in your coffees, such as 10g of coffee for espresso, this isn't something you can track at the moment. 

Message 14 of 14