x

Offline mode AND no location services

I will be using an iPad at an outdoor event. I know how to switch to offline mode and am familiar with that. However, while offline my iPad obviously also has no location services data. How can I process the transaction in offline mode while not having location services either?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Once you reconnect it will process the cards and use the current location service.  However, you run the risk of cards being declined and transactions expiring if over 72 hours.  I would use a phone as a personal hotspot or a MiFi card.  The data load is very low but the loss could be high depending on the number of transactions you do.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

Once you reconnect it will process the cards and use the current location service.  However, you run the risk of cards being declined and transactions expiring if over 72 hours.  I would use a phone as a personal hotspot or a MiFi card.  The data load is very low but the loss could be high depending on the number of transactions you do.

Message 2 of 8

But it will not allow me to even enter an invoice or transaction in offline mode to process later because location services is not available. I do understand the risks of transactions done in offline mode. But I'd like offline mode to actually function.

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

In offline mode, you can not use Invoices, Cards on file, Contactless reader, Chip reader.   You can only take Cash and use the mag swipe reader.

Help article.

Message 4 of 8

I have done all of that, but with no internet service, square won’t even load on my phone. I thought it was tap to pay, but even that turned off it still won’t load. All of my business is done outdoors and not a lot of data service. Why won’t the app load, yes even in offline mode. 

Message 5 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Hi @MikeBTO - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with Offline Mode has brought you to the Seller Community.

I suggest starting out with the troubleshooting steps for the Point of Sale app listed here while you're in an environment where you can connect to WiFi or are able to use data. Then, you can follow the steps for enabling Offline Mode here. If this doesn't improve things, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 8

i was using my  app in offline mode and it went through the sale and even asks if the customer wanted a receipt, when i went home and connected to the internet i found out none of the transactions processed, what happened? I lost about $100.00 , iI don't know what to do now.

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

This doesn't sound right @Swilly123456 

If you haven't already, your best bet is to get in touch with us directly, so that a member of our Support team can dig in with you. When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8