x

How do you collect customer details, including emails?

How do you collect customer details, including emails?

Message 1 of 46
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Great post! We know how important this feature is for sellers, and I'm happy to report that we have this functionality. 

By using the Square Customer Directory, you can add customer profiles to sales when ringing out from the Square Point of Sale app. With this feature, you can add a customer's name, email address, phone number, company, address, and birthday. 

To add a customer's information to your Customer Directory, review the steps below:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and click Customers.
2. Click Create Customer.
3. Add your customer's information and click Save.

Also, check out our Support Center to find out all of the other feature included in your Customer Directory! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for the feedback on this @FoxHeadInc

We know this is an important aspect of our sellers business, so I'll definitely share your interest in seeing this feature with our Customers team. 

One thing I wanted to clarify, when using the "Add Customer" feature during checkout, most of the information is optional and not required. You can add a customer to your Customer Directory with just their name and email address. 

Also, if you haven't checked this out already, here's an article that outlines our Email Collection tools:

Get Started With Email Collection Tools

Message 22 of 46

I hope since this post was four years ago, Square has DEFINITELY made a way to collect customers' information DURING the checkout process and not as a seperate add a customer process. What is the update on this?

Message 23 of 46
Square Community Moderator

Hi @keilahjohnson you can add a customer's information within the checkout process by clicking "add customer" on the Point of Sale app. These settings can be customized under Settings > Customer Management. If you scroll down to Configure Profiles you can customize what information is collected at checkout as well. 🙂 

Anything further than that is still a feature request at this time.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 24 of 46

If I've collected emails for receipt instead of saving it to the directory; can I still email them via square for marketing purpose? 

Message 25 of 46

I am not sure how that could have happened. Recently collected and sent out email receipts. All my customers got there receipts but I couldn't get access to those emails later. Very poor programming on the part of square.

Message 26 of 46

This is totally confusing.  I have been collecting emails for reciepts and they are all available in my customers list under "Added by You".  I can see the emails that were entered and I have never had to go into the Customer Directory to add them.  Am I missing something?

Message 27 of 46

@OhioSilk I have the same situation and I totally agree with you. If people gave their email to get their receipt, we should have access to that info. When at a tradeshow, we really don't have time to get more info.

Message 28 of 46

Square collected the info I typed in and then keeps it private?   I don’t have time on a busy weekend to type in emails twice!   I have a history of names of clients that I can’t email ... the EXTRA steps is B.S. !!!    Im mad that square does this in the first place and about to quit the platform because of it... I should be getting paid for my service if that’s the case

Message 29 of 46

It used to be that once a card was used to pay for a purchase thru Square (even with a different vendor) and the customer received a receipt, their contact info would populate automatically when they used that card at additional vendors. Has this changed? 

Yesterday at a craft fair, customer said she'd get a receipt automatically, but neither her email or phone number populated automatically. Why?

Message 30 of 46
Super Seller

It should auto-populate the text or email fields.  In my experience customers have so many credit cards they forget which card has Square details associated with it.

Message 31 of 46

Thanks, maybe that's it! 

Message 32 of 46

I'm not sure if I just missed it, but I sent out a mass email notification re. egift cards. I was wondering how the emails were collected? Is it through their credit cards or do they have to put in their email address themselves. One customer said she had never put her email address in at the cafe - and she recieved an email notification from us. It was only one customer, so I'm not sure if she is just be forgetful?  Thanks for the help in clearing this up.

Heidi

Message 33 of 46

Hello @hshimashak! Sean mentioned it in an earlier comment, but I would be happy to explain! 

When a customer enter's their email address for a receipt they become apart of your reachable customers group on the directory. Here's an example, if a customer came to my business and entered their email address for a receipt it marries that email address and credit card for future purchases. When they visit your business and pay with the same credit card they will automatically be added to your reachable customer group even if they don't enter their email address when they're at your shop. 

On the receipt screen there is a disclaimer that says " By providing your contact information, you agree businesses you frequent may send you digital receipts, marketing, and messages via Square. See your digital receipt for privacy policy and preferences" 

If you still have questions please let me know! 😀

Message 34 of 46

We're using the physical terminal (medium size). We are a nonprofit art gallery. Customers pick up their artwork at the end of the exhibit, which requires us to contact them with email and phone reminders. We need to collect this information (and their mailing address) during check-out.

I'm unable to find any help forums that show me how to have the customer input their information for us to re-use at another time during their checkout process. The customer collection tutorials don't match what I see on the terminal. 

Based on this description it seems like the customer collection process separate from checking out? Do we have to collect the information outside of the terminal (on a piece of paper) then manually input it into our square directory? Would you please help me understand how to perform this task? What am I missing?

Thank you,

Stan

Message 35 of 46

hey gang, does anyone know if there's a way to record a customers name when charging their card? (this would help me reconcile the square deposits against accounts receivable). 

Message 36 of 46

after the sale: how do i SEE detailed info for each transaction, ie, name of person who paid

Message 37 of 46

And yet they have a record of them when they ask if you want to send a coupon, for a fee, to a customer to gain repeat business. So thay are using data you gathered and selling it back to you.

Message 38 of 46
Square

@KahunaWindow @soccersedge - Check out this thread for more details on how to keep this information on file. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 39 of 46

Sean, I don't see a link to any other tread.  ???

Message 40 of 46

thread???

Message 41 of 46
Square

@DragonStar - You can click "1" at the bottom center of this thread or use this link to go to page one to see the Best Answer. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 42 of 46