x

Sort Customer Directory

Can I sort and display my customer directory by last name instead of first name?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Square Community Moderator

Hi there!

Unfortunately there isn't a way to change the order in which your customers are displayed in your Square Dashboard. 

However, you have the ability to search customers, as well as add them to specific groups of your choosing. 

Maybe one of your fellow sellers can chime in with ways they're able to get around this. 

Message 2 of 21

Thank you for asking for this feature, that I am very surprised doesn't exist.  I search for awhile on how to sort by last name.... and am shocked that you can't.  I'm going to try a work around, such as removing the first names and placing them in another field.  Really, really surprised that you can't sort by last name.

Message 3 of 21
Admin

@staceyk Thanks for sharing your interest, sorry for that this isn't the good kind of surprise. If it's possible to sort the directory by last name we'll post in this thread to let everyone know. I hope you'll post again if you find a suitable workaround! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 21

If you switch the first and last name around, it will sort my last name.  I added a comma after the last name.  It could work, but then you would have to go in and make that change for all your customers that get added by using a credit card.  ?

Message 5 of 21

This would be a great added feature. Just today I noticed that a record in my directory has an initial for their last name. I noticed it when I was working on something else and before it registered in my brain it was gone. I can't remember the first name, just the last initial. (And it's not in Square added contacts, that was my first guess).

Message 6 of 21
Admin

Thanks for pointing this out, @npha. Sorry for the confusion this is causing. While we don't have any new developments on this sorting feature, I'll be sure to share your experience with our Product Liaison team. Please keep in touch for updates!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 21

I, too, would appreciate the ability to sort by last name.

Message 8 of 21

I'll add a "Me, too!" here.  The directory maintains separate fields for first name and last name...but sorts on first name?  That's almost unbelievable, when you think about it.  NOBODY maintains customer files by first name - and it's no harder to specify the sort by the last name field than by the first name field - it's a single change to a single line of code.  (Well, unless your programmer concatenated first name+last name before sorting the display - but that's not a wise choice, either.)

Message 9 of 21

I'd love to have this option as well! I have a physical customer card file for keeping notes on the dogs a groom and they're filed by last name. So much easier to go through my phyisical file and "square up" my square customers if they're filed in the same order rather than using the search feature for every single client. Super time consuming!  Will this ever be possible?

Message 10 of 21

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @TinyTots

Nothing new to report on this as of right now unfortunately. 

If anything changes we'll chime back in with an update 👍🏼

Message 11 of 21

I also would appreciate this feature.  We use mail merge for producing labels for our deliveries and pick ups, and sorting by first name make absolutely NO SENSE for us at all. Please add this as a high priority for your development team.

Message 12 of 21

Every system we use has clients sorted by last name. Using first names to sort clients is a pain. PLEASE make it an option to search by last name. Why is there a separate area for last name if you can't sort for it that way? It makes absolutely no sense and is useless. 

Message 13 of 21

How do I put the customer list in order by last name? the answewrs in the thread are not good enough. would someone from support PLEASE answer the question? @support

Message 14 of 21

Message 15 of 21

This is a MUST feature. I am adding to the "me too" list! Also, grooming clients we don't file by last name on hard copy it makes it very confusing to use this feature with first name filing. 

Message 16 of 21
Alumni

@barkinonsunshin Thanks for the upvote. I hear the Customer Engagement Team has some plans to revamp the Customer Directory and sorting options but I don't know a specific timeline.

Sorry to leave you hanging on a cliff but we'll be sure to update this thread when there's good news to share. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 21
Beta Member

People have been posting to this thread since 2016.  It is hard to believe that you still cannot select how you want to view your customers.  Just another item in the long list of "unbelievable things that square can't do"...like updating inventory when items are placed in invoices instead of when the invoice is paid.

Message 18 of 21

Any updates to show customers by Last Name?

Message 19 of 21

Hi @jordansean44 - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community to check in on the status of this feature.

This feature is not currently available within the Customer Directory but you do have the option to search for the customer by their last name vs their first name. I have reached out to the Product Team who manages the Customer Directory to see if there is any further info we can provide on this feature request at the moment.

I'll be sure to reply back to you again here once I receive more information. I appreciate your patience in the meantime!

Violet
Message 20 of 21

Hi there again, @jordansean44! Thanks for your patience while awaiting my reply here.

I have confirmed with our Product Team that this is still a feature request at this time. However, you can also locate the customer by typing their last name in the search bar, if that helps!

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 21 of 21