x

Square Loyalty: Why can't we apply multiple rewards?

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “Major Problem with using Square Loyalty Program !”.

I paid $25 a month for your program

I pitched it to customers to earn $10 credit for every $100 spent

Square counted up the points

I had a good customer who spent $800 and "earned" $80 credit

The customer returned to spend another $100

The Loyalty program had recorded the $80 credit as 8 individual $10 credits and would 

only apply One $10 to the transaction 

So the customer could only claim their $80 in 8  subsequent transactions $10 at a time !!!

That is NOT rewarding loyalty that is punishing loyalty 

You really have no way to apply the earned credit to one transaction? that is not a reward 

that is a penalty

See Support for my Case # 22773024 after 45 minutes on the phone support person emanual  confirmed that 

there was no way around this 

This loyalty program is not ready for use

It does not reflect  the type of real  retail transactions merchants face

I could not be more dissapointed in it

Certainly Square has the resources to make it work if they cared to think it through 

What is going on ? I would like to hear an explantation from a supervisor 

Jim Normandi

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi all - Our Loyalty team just announced you can redeem multiple rewards on one transaction. Check out more information here

View Best Answer >

Message 11 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Alumni

@jimmysierra

Thank you for your feedback on Square Loyalty! It certainly is frustrating and time-consuming to have to apply the 8 rewards one at a time. This limitation with reward redemption is something that we are aware on the product team and we understand that the current process is very frustrating. Unfortunately, we don't have a solution today but we are tracking the issue and figuring out how to improve it for the future.

Message 2 of 11

thanks for taking the time to reply

But let me be clear

Your Program will NOT even allow the eight credits to be applied at one time

It would require EIGHT seperate transactions !  Eight seperate items purchases andEight credit card insertions and Eight signatures! Did you realize that ? It us unusable . It would require the customer to make 8 trips back to be "rewarded"

for the intial $800 purchase. Do you see now that it is not just frustrating it is Dysfunctional !

Please show this to the manager who approved this feature and ask him/her what they think of this 

I feel the issue is so basic that the rewards program is not ready for release

at best itshould be warned that it is a beta program

You have only frustrated me with square and my customers with me

I would like my three months of subscription refunded 

and I would like square to be more sensitive to both merchants and our customers

I feel you are rushing to add features without doing basic QC

May I please have a response ? thank you

Message 3 of 11
Alumni

Hey @jimmysierra

I can definitely see where you want to reward this customer (in this case X8). I understand and support the fact that each business needs to decide what works best. I'm really sorry that you were looking for something different in Square Loyalty.

It is fairly standard to only allow 1 reward per transaction. Myself, I spent 10 years running retail stores, most with rewards programs. Even if a customer had earned several rewards, the maximum reward was always still 1 per transaction. Even as a customer, I can't think of a business or company with a reward program that would allow me to double dip (nevermind 8X dip) a reward or perk. 

Again, I fully support that you need to do what is best for your business. Please feel free to reach out to our Support Team if you need help managing your subscription. 

Message 4 of 11

@Russell,

Your idea of business compared to others are two different things.  You stated that they, the customer, should not be able to double or 8x dip.  These are rewards they have already earned that have a value to them.  Clearly the math is simple.  If I have earned $80 in rewards I can choose to use them in smaller increments or use them when I have accumulated more, the same amount of "reward" is being used regardless of when it is redemmed as it is based on the total spend.

I agree, that if you have accumulated a $ value you, SQUARE, should not arbitrarily limit us in how we choose to allow out customers to redeem their awards.  We choose the program parameters, not you.

Given that I am exploring loyalty program options, I am not liking what I am seeing as far as the limitations and lack of operational knowledge by Square.  I agree this does not appear ready for prime time.

Message 5 of 11
Alumni

@rsklar, thanks for chiming in here. I did not state that customers should not be able to redeem multiple rewards. Rather, I stated that I was unfamiliar with the practice from a business perspective. 

Thanks for the feedback, I'll be sure to pass it to the Product Team. 

Message 6 of 11

Hey Russell 

The most common rewards we all participate in are Airline Miles.

You accumulate miles with incremental purchases and use them collectively. 

Can't imagine asking an airline customer to break up their 1000 miles and only let them use them on three seperate 300 mile trips

can you?

I dont want to drag this out and I am most interested

1) if square can commit small resources required to adjust your programming

2) if you can credit me for the mispent money , I am an unhappy customer with an reasonable objection

Message 7 of 11
Alumni

Hey again @jimmysierra - thanks for sharing the comparison of airline miles. I have always viewed Square Loyalty as the digital version of a punch card at a coffee shop (think buy 9 cups, get 1 free). This example definitely helps me and the Product Team better understand where you're coming from.

1. @lilychiang mentioned this is currently a feature request that is being tracked. That is the most current information I have at this time. 
  2. I am unable to access or view your account specifics. Please contact support for help with this subscription.  
Message 8 of 11

It would not take alot of programming to fix this

Message 9 of 11
Alumni

Exciting update to share: you can now create multiple tier rewards in Loyalty. See more here!

Message 10 of 11
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi all - Our Loyalty team just announced you can redeem multiple rewards on one transaction. Check out more information here

Message 11 of 11