x

Chip reader does not recognize card is inserted.

Contactless chip reader working fine in the morning suddenly stopped recognizing that a card is inserted. I have tried several different credit cards, so it isn’t the card. I have charged the chip reader fully. I have restarted square app and my iPad. Any suggestions? So called customer support at square takes 1-3 days to get back to me. Meanwhile I have to use my iPhone with the insertable mag stripe reader. 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

I have the same problem. And I've tried everything. The only way to get it to work again is if I completely power down EVERYTHING. It happen at least 10 times a day. Is there anything that I don't know about that I can do? Please help. Jess

Message 2 of 12

I have the same problem. And I've tried everything. The only way to get it to work again is if I completely power down EVERYTHING. It happens at least 10 times a day. Is there anything that I don't know about that I can do? Please help. Jess

Message 3 of 12

Thanks Jess. What do you mean “power down everything”?

Message 4 of 12
Square Community Moderator

I think @Jess3 might be referring to a Force Shutdown of the Contactless and Chip Card Reader.

@Jess3 was what you meant? Can you run through the steps of what's been working for you?

Also, is there any chance something might've been spilled into the card slot? 

Message 5 of 12

Nothing spilled in chip slot...ran like that right out of box...we just power off the iPad and wait 10 seconds and turn back on and seems to work for awhile...

Message 6 of 12

@Jess3 Hmm that does sound strange and definitely shouldn't be happening. 

The best step to take from here is to walk through some things with our Support Team. We can better figure out what's happening when we're going through things with you directly. 

@Scamper Sorry that it's taken so long for us to get back to you. Give us a call again when you get chance and we'll get this taken care of. 

Message 7 of 12

I would like to call since two email responses from Juan have been useless. He is answering a different problem from the one I describe. It is maddening. 

Message 8 of 12

@Scamper Sorry to hear that, and yes, please give us a call. I know I personally can explain and understand a bit better via phone call, so if you're having trouble via email call in to us and they'll get you squared away. 

Message 9 of 12

Email me your phone number then bc apparently there is no way to call right now according to your company’s website.

Message 10 of 12

Apparently square is having difficulties and phone calls cannot be made now. I will be researching other card reader companies. This is absurd and the worst customer support ever.

Message 11 of 12

@Scamper Send me a Private Message and I can set something up for you to get you taken care of. 

Message 12 of 12