x

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

Is there a way to change an uncategorized item to a category after the sale transaction?

I need to change an item that was sold as uncategorized to a category. How can I do that? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Categories

@ruckdmc At this time there isn't a way to go back and change or add a category to a past sale.

In the meantime, you can add your items to categories so that your reports will be accurate in future. After you create a category > go to the Items section of your Dashboard > click on an item > click Category to select your new category. 

94 Comments

Hi @Helen , although I appreciate that your customer service acknowledges everyone’s concerns, perhaps it would be helpful to explain to everyone *why* this is not an available feature?

I’m guessing that since this thread has been active over 2 years and there has been no change, that there must be some reason that all sales info is locked post-sale. I’m sure there are many more threads about this, and it’s not hard to see why most businesses would require this feature, so some sort of explanation of why this is not an option would be helpful to all sides. 

Thanks very much!

I too would like to have the ability to change the category of past sales.  This rigidity really seems unnecessary.  Your development team has created an excellent program, but it needs to continue to improve it.  There is clearly a lot of demand for this capability, and they should be taking that demand seriously.

We're also running WooCommerce and Square, @midnightmare. We've been on quite the journey to try to solve this ourselves during the past year, trying out just about any online store platform that integrates with Square to try to get a reasonably customizable online store experience that passes the full transaction details over to Square Dashboard. Perhaps the closest we came to success was GoDaddy's Online Store builder, which supports itemized sales data, but even so, it only provided the Item Name and still choked on providing the SKU, Category, Sales Channel, etc...

Our issue is not so much changing things afterwards, but rather that we have been unable to identify an online store platform that initially passes the complete information to Square so that online sales show up with the same amount of basic detail as a POS transaction (ie. Name, SKU, Category, Sales Channel). We like Square for POS and for the ease of integration as a payment gateway in an online store, however the lack of these transaction level details for our online sales basically makes Square sales reporting and analysis almost useless. We are now exploring Square's Checkout and Orders APIs to see if we can get it working that way. If that can't happen (and we decide to stick with Square), we'll likely look at doing exports from Square and whatever online storefront we're using at that time and then writing a tool to match transactions across the platforms. We really hope we don't have to do that!

Bottom line, any transaction flowing into Square (POS or Online) should come with (at least) the Customer Info, Item Name(s), SKUs, Categories, Amounts, Sales Channel, and appropriately manage the Inventory sync. Currently, we only get 3 of those 6. Customer Info, Amounts, and Inventory sync.

Best of luck...we'll let you know if we discover anything useful with the APIs.

Thanks. I appreciate that. To add to your post, even when Square is integrated as a payment solution into something like Formstack, the sale is passed back into Square as uncategorized. As you said, this makes Square's reporting useless. I cannot understand why this hasn't been resolved after all this time.

Beta Member

We have the same issue with Shogo. The retail must have this capability for accurate reporting and ability to correct staff errors. Please consider this change asap. Thank you! 

Beta Member

We too have a problem with our online store / Square integration. The lack of communication b/t SQ and Go Daddy and the non-abiblity to correct the categorization creates A LOT of manual reporting for accounting tracking purposes. VERY inefficient part of the process in a mostly efficient application.  

Admin

Thank you again for sharing your experience @EarthSoothers, and I'm really sorry for the frustration this is causing, and the extra time it causes you to spend on reporting @midnightmare @Sak1. I appreciate the detail you've shared in your posts and this feedback will help the Integrations team to improve sales reporting. Hopefully we'll have an update soon. 

I would also like to add my request for the ability to change categories in past transactions. As our business grows, we are fine tuning our inventory and reporting.  Being able to change the categories would be a great benefit in being able to compare years.

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: correcting incorrect category used

I had a huge sale rung in and paid for under open sales and need to change it to catering - how can I correct the category used. 

Super Seller

there isn't a way to go back and change previous sales.  If it was a cash/check sale you could refund it and ring it up again but if it was a credit card sale there isn't anything you can do to change it without running the card again with the customer present.