x
Beta Member

Does Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin as a currency option?

I use Square Point of Sale for my restaurant and a few customers have asked if I can accept Bitcoin.  I've seen a few articles stating that the point of sale app will add support sometime soon, but I haven't been able to find out any more about that.

Does Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin?  If not, are there plans to add that support in the near future?  And, if it is available, it needs to be pretty simple so I can train all the staff to use it. 

thanks.

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 109
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I accept crypto currencies?

Hey @MetaJoe!

Good question. At this time, Square POS does not accept bitcoin or crypto currency payments.

Take a look at the best answer in this thread for a workaround suggestion. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

It is not currently supported directly.  That would be interesting to accept but many people are scared of it as it is a virtual currency that fluctuates wildly sometimes.

You could accept bitcoin payment directly to your Bitcoin wallet and use Square Register and mark it as "other" in the payment field.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 109
108 REPLIES 108

I am happy to see some progress is being made - or at least the idea is being bounced around. Cryptocurrencies are here to stay, and as Square develops the App, they need to ensure it is capable of taking multiple currencies, not just Bitcoin. Ether, Litecoin, Dash, etc., there are over 30 cryptos that are capitalized in excess of $1B USD (that's Billion) and we as retailers would all like to be able to allow the consumer to easily part with whatever share of that they want to, easily...

Message 43 of 109

I agree, although bitcoin is the most notable, it's important to have other cheaper, faster options (I think dash would be a perfect fit for the Square App). Just my 2 cents

Message 44 of 109
Beta Member

I don't know much about the prod & cons of the different c-currencies, but Bitcoin is the one my customers have specifically asked about.  (A local bitcoin meetup group has been meeting in my bar every Thursday for the last couple years.)

Thanks for the progress updates.

Message 45 of 109

Okay folks, It is well into 2018.  Lets get ahead of the curve and let Square POS start accepting Bitcoin and Litecoin in a seamless solution (enter dollar amount and select coin type).  It would be very easy for Square to program and would be newsmaking (free advertising for Square).  Get it moving!!!!!!

Message 46 of 109
Super Seller

@Robert-H, Have you seen the high confirmation transaction fees (currently averaging $10 per transaction, and a week ago it was $20+) and high transaction times of 30-1,000 minutes.  not at all ideal right now for a POS.  Don't want someone having to hang around for an hour to confirm that their transaction was complete and verified.  You need the verification of the blockchain to prove that the public key the customer gave you has the amount of bitcoin you requested and that it hasn't been spent in a different block on the blockchain.  THere definitely are some cryptocurrencies out there that are better suited for fast transaction times and nearly 0 fees.  definitely, a market to watch and see what shakes out, but big names are dropping support of bitcoin for payments due to these points and other factors.  

Message 47 of 109

The high transaction fees and really slow verification on the blockchain is one of the big problems with Bitcoin right now. That being said, Bitcoin Cash, Ethereum, Litecoin, Dash, and lots of others have almost instant verification and low fees. Hopefully Square will integrate multiple cryptos into an App. It may not cover everything for everybody, but Bitcoin is the Big Name, not necessarily the coin that will be spent the most unless the mining fees get a bit (or a whole lot) more controlled and verification is sped up for small transactions.

Message 48 of 109

BCH is much faster than BTC and they have a cheap/simple POS for that https://www.minipos.cash/products/minipos-server-cashier-terminal-kit ... I would rather have it in square but until they do there are options. 

Message 49 of 109

This allows you to accept BTC, ETH & KBC... 

https://merchant.k-merchant.com/register?reff=mjjholdingsllc

Message 50 of 109
Admin

Thanks @EVIP! Please refrain from posting multiple times about the same issue in the same thread. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 51 of 109

Yes, totally agree.  But once the interface is programmed, we can decide which c-currency to accept.  Also, we can build in the transaction fee on the client side since they choose the payment form.  Unless it is a retail operation most bus6can wait a bit for payment,  especially service businesses like mine.  

Message 52 of 109

Well, as I said, hopefully whatever Square comes up with allows for multiple choices. I am a retailer, and a mobile one at that, so people aren't going to want to hang around waiting for the blockchain to catch up to them, especially in larger venues (expos, etc.). 

Right now, any time you instigate a transaction, the fees are charged to you. I am sure this will continue in any Square App where the buyer would be automatically charged any blockchain transaction fees for the sale. Once the sale is made, however, I think it would depend on whether Square set up its own wallet or linked to your personal wallet as to whether or not any additional blockchain fees would be incurred by us, the merchant - or if Square would do a flat percent per transaction regardless. 

I am guessing these are things they are working on, at least I hope they are.

Message 53 of 109

Where's your bar? I would like to join that group.

Message 54 of 109

Hello, we're in mid 2019, any news regarding BTC support? Does Square actually think/plan to do something about it or you're not interested?

Message 55 of 109

Our friends to the south have been enjoying Bitcoin payments on Square for months. When can we expect to have Bitcoin integrated into Square up here in Canada?

Message 56 of 109
Super Seller

Square does not accept payments from Bitcoin anywhere in any country in Square POS.  they are doing a small trial run in Square Cash.

there isn't a current date set or if it will ever be integrated.  The transaction times are getting crazy long as the blockchain continues to get larger and larger.  what used to take seconds now takes 50, 70, 300+ minutes to confirm on the blockchain.  there are better crypto coins for instant transactions.

Message 57 of 109
Super Seller

Nano is a good example of a newer lightweight cryptocurrency with instant transactions. I would love to see a solution for accepting crypto in some form though as it would suit my market well. 

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 58 of 109

Would love to accept Litecoin in our shop without finding a new POS system. 
Does Square plan on integrating LTC and other crypto's into its system any time soon?
Thanks

Message 59 of 109
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Will Square Accept LiteCoin soon?

Hi @thehumblelife! I don't have a timeline for this but I will share your interest with the Payments team. 

I know Bitcoin and Litecoin are different but I merged your post in to this thread so you can see all updates about cryptocurrencies and Square as they come through.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 60 of 109
Beta Member

get  crypto soon other options are available  p2p block chain decentralized can not be stopped delayed fud yes but sooner or later it will adopt. We love square we need solution soon very soon like yesterday team up with bitpay or coinbase if u have to specialy if my compatition starts before me i'm gone .thx

Message 61 of 109

I’m with you! Seriously square, I can’t believe we aren’t able to accept crypto yet. Get with the program or it’s time we find an alternative. 

Message 62 of 109
Beta Member

Been following this thread since the beginning.  Disappointed in Square for not responding to customer needs with a solution yet.  Our customers are regularly asking us to accept digital currencies.  Has anyone researched other more innovated POS systems that do accept digital currencies?  

Message 63 of 109