x

Can I link a netspend account to my Square account?

I have a netspend account and I just tried to link that account to my square account so I could actually accept payments and the message I am getting is "Routing number is not supported". I would really like to be able to use my card reader so I can accept something other than cash payments for my business and also make it easier on my customers. If anybody has any suggestions on what I could do to connect the two accounts I would appreciate if you would tell me. Thank you

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3896-link-and-edit-your-bank-account

You must link a transactional Bank account not a debit card or online only bank account.

on your check you can see the numbers you must enter.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 9.16.06 AM.png

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
Super Seller

Best Answer

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3896-link-and-edit-your-bank-account

You must link a transactional Bank account not a debit card or online only bank account.

on your check you can see the numbers you must enter.

Screen Shot 2016-11-12 at 9.16.06 AM.png

Message 2 of 25
Admin

Thanks for helping out, @VanKalkerFarms. 🙂

Hi @RedHead83, welcome to the seller community and sorry to hear about the trouble with your bank account. If you'd like a member of our Support Team to take a closer look, please don't hesitate to let us know. 👍

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 3 of 25

Why does it have to be a traditional bank if I'm only accepting payments ? I would rather not have a traditional bank having access to my personal money. Is it possible or is that the only option ? 

Message 4 of 25

Forget about it. They won't let you use an online bank. I tried myself earlier in the year. They won't say why, but I imagine it's because they want complete access to your money in your account so they can be sure to charge you their fees since an online bank won't allow money to be taken out of it isn't there & they don't have overdraft fees. I made the mistake after Square turned me down of trying to inquire about an account w/ Total Merchant Services/Global Payments. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!! THEY WILL SCAM THE CRAP OUT OF YOU!!!! They magically got my online account accepted after the guy said that he "left some numbers out". Then, wouldn't take no for an answer after telling them I didn't want the "free" card reader. I refused it at the door from Fed Ex. They have been trying to take money out of my account ever since, w/ no luck since I cleaned out the account after learning how scandalous they are. They've threatened to mess up my credit report w/ this bogus account that was never opened/used. So...since Square won't ever say why they won't accept online banks, I assume they have the same reason. They want complete access to your money in your account to freely charge you for whatever they think they need to. 

Message 5 of 25
Super Seller

@TheMushroomSpot the Square fees are pulled out of your deposit before it goes to the bank for deposit the next business day, so there is only a deposit, not a deposit and withdrawal.  They need access to pull money out if there is a dispute or if a payment for monthly services comes due, and you haven't had any transactions that day.

I have been with Square for 6 years and never once have they taken money out of my account.

Message 6 of 25

Is the cash app card linked to square

Message 7 of 25

Hello @Hesire,

The Cash App Card is linked to your balance in the Cash App. It is not connected to Square Point of Sale in any way.

Message 8 of 25

I use a chime card on square and it works and Chime isnt a traditional bank

Message 9 of 25
Super Seller

Yes, a traditional bank checking account is needed.  It must be a transactional account so that Square can deposit your money and if need be if there is a dispute or if a monthly service comes and you haven't had any transactions that day they need to be able to pull out money.

Message 10 of 25

I want not to link to account

Message 11 of 25

im trying to link my on line bank account. wont recognize routing number. does square accept on line banks?

Message 12 of 25
Admin

Hi @chefjase123 — welcome to the seller community! It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the reply from VanKalkerFarms and let us know if that helps!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 25

I'm having the same issue. I love my netspend card. I entered the routing and account number and I received the same error massage. This is a checking account, we can order checks, add a saving account, have our paychecks direct deposited, but without the hassle and high fees. And I have never had my account comprimised unlike me & my friends have at BOA, a traditional bank.

So does this mean I need to open a bank account at a local bank in order to use square up? I am disappointed, I will continue to look and see if there is any other option but square up needs to update their policy as Netspend far beats the competition and has become very popular. (and no I don't work for them I'm just a customer) 

Thanks for listening, R

Message 14 of 25
Square

@RobinLeigh920 - Thanks for taking the time to share. It's great to hear your perspective. While we don't support these types of accounts, it would be great if this were something we could offer in the future. In the meantime, you would need to link a standard checking, savings or business account to accept deposits with Square. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 15 of 25

then obviously the square is pretty useless to those of us who use online banking. what a waste.

Message 16 of 25
Square Community Moderator

@sappplegate Sorry for the trouble and confusion here. Hopefully we come up with a solution in the future. 

Message 17 of 25

I am in the same exact boat! I was very excited to learn how "easy" it is to start a Square account & it seemed like a good beginning for my business so I can accept something other than cash. This is extremely disappointing since I use ADP for hassle/fee free banking and have for 7 yrs now. And what makes this even more ridiculous is that ADP uses BOA for their bank! Isn't BOA a "traditional bank"?? This is a really stupid policy & Square should tell people this catch before they go through the process of entering all of their information only to find out that their card is not supported! I plan to research other card reader companies now, since Square is living in the Stone age!

Message 18 of 25
Square Community Moderator

@TheMushroomSpot We appreciate the feedback here and I'm sorry to hear you're not able to use Square at this time. 

With these types of bank accounts becoming more and more popular, and with the recent increase in seller advocacy, hopefully we can find a solution for everyone in the future. 

Our Product Team is definitely aware of the seller interest with this. If we make any changes we'll be sure to announce it.

Message 19 of 25

I really hope that you all come up with something that works for us soon...

Message 20 of 25

If I remember correctly when I had this issue I use my Greendot card and it actually worked so if you don't mind switching (or ordering a card) over to Greendot I believe they do take them--- but don't quote me 😉

Message 21 of 25