x

Inventory solutions for handmade/manufacturing

I am setting up a small business - some of my products are handmade items.  I am currently having a doozy of a time doing my taxes and I seriously need to find some kind of (affordable) software or spreadsheets that will allow me to keep better track of my inventory this year.

I need to be able to track not only the inventory that is currently available for sale but also the inventory I have on hand in preparation for creating those items for sale. 

That will calculate the "cost of goods sold" both to make next tax season easier and to easily assess the financial health of my business.  The software in Square point of sale seems to only track the number of items in inventory and is not helpful in assessing cost.

And it would be really awesome of the software would link to Square - even update automatically -

Any suggestions?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Admin

Hello @snowynevada! It sounds like you might be interested in Square for Retail, which has advanced Inventory options, including Cost of Goods Sold reporting among other features (check out the Square for Retail: New Feature Roundup here). 

Square for Retail is a separate app and there is a subscription fee to use it so it might not be suitable for your business at this time. But you could use the 30 day free trial to see if it's what you're looking for! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 3

Thank you for your suggestion Helen!  I have reviewed the information contained on the pages for which you provided links and it appears that it is probably not quite what I need.  It looks like Square Retail will only track inventory and calculate COGS for retail businesses - and would probably not have the features necessary for a manufacturing business (where you have to inventory all the raw materials in addition to the completed items for sale. 

However, since they provide a free trial period I will definitely look into it - it is beyond my budget right now, but if it does what I need then hopefully next year (if all goes according to plan) I can upgrade 🙂

Message 3 of 3