x

How can I see the name of customers whose card I swiped?

How can I determine the identity of my customers who swiped their card on my register?

Message 1 of 55
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@ScottGraham - In most cases, Square is able to capture a customer's name from swiped transactions (but not always). To see these details, you'd need to navigate to the individual sale from the Transactions tab of the Square Dashboard. Once you select a transaction, you can click the blue link in the bottom left of the receipt preview. This will open a full copy of the receipt. If these details were captured, you'll see them below the card type and last four digits in the bottom left corner.

Having said that, I would actually recommend using the Square Directory feature to link customers to sales by creating a profile for them. It is a sure way to associate a customer with each sale. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 55
54 REPLIES 54

We processed about 65 transactions the other day.  On most of the transactions the individual's name is presented in parentheses next to the card type and last 4 digits.  However, some transactions do not have this information and present "Unknown"

Why is this information not available on all credit card transactions?

Message 2 of 55

The same thing happens to me.  Is this certain types of credit cards?  Is there a way to know which ones will not be captured so that I can do it manually?

Message 3 of 55

@smsAF and @Clay, I recomend taking a look at Sean's answer on the first page of this thread. This will provide some clarity regarding customer names not always appearing. 

Message 4 of 55

This problem continues to plague our business. When I click on an individual transaction, the sale details open up and the customer's first name and last name initial is displayed. When I click on the blue receipt number at the bottom of the the page, the actual receipt opens up. Months ago, we'd see the full name of the customer appear on the receipt. But now we NEVER see any customer name appear on the receipt. What happened?

Message 5 of 55

This is a big issue for us too.  We use Square seasonally and I was shocked when beginning it again this summer, the name on the card had disappeared from the receipt.  We do NOT ask for customer information when selling at our school.  Just takes too long and we also don't want to hassle people.  I don't see that anything has been fixed in Square, have you?

Message 6 of 55

Hello @msciffbauer, the name showing up depends on how you process the card. Wether it was swiped or manual entered. If you manually enter card information it won't pull the name. It also depends on the card itself. Some customers credit cards allow this information to be pulled from the card while others don't. 

The sure fire way to collect someones information is to use our Customer Directory feature. 

Message 7 of 55
Square

Best Answer

@ScottGraham - In most cases, Square is able to capture a customer's name from swiped transactions (but not always). To see these details, you'd need to navigate to the individual sale from the Transactions tab of the Square Dashboard. Once you select a transaction, you can click the blue link in the bottom left of the receipt preview. This will open a full copy of the receipt. If these details were captured, you'll see them below the card type and last four digits in the bottom left corner.

Having said that, I would actually recommend using the Square Directory feature to link customers to sales by creating a profile for them. It is a sure way to associate a customer with each sale. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 55

Thanks Sean. Good answer. Ironically, of the 4 transactions on our device that were swiped none of them has any customer identity information. Most of our money was brought in via our Online Store which collects a lot of customer identification, so we were able to piece together the missing info. But, thank you for the useful information. 

Message 9 of 55
Square

@ScottGraham - Glad to hear you were able to get things sorted out! 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 10 of 55

Thanks for the info on the Receipt Number linking to a Customer's name. I didn't know about that or had forgotten it. We have occassions when we would like that info available quickly on the transaction banner. It makes little sense to hide it.

Yes - your suggestion about creating a customer does insure their name is on the invoice. However, I never push that with a customer. Few of my customers agree to an email receipt (we do furnish a paper one), I think out of fear that I will be just one more source of junk email. They become especially suspecious when I ask for a phone or address or other data fields. Gathering this info also takes time... time I don't have and time the customer doesn't want to spend on that.

Message 11 of 55

I used to see customer's first and last name. But as of a month ago, I only see the cutsomr first name and the initial for their last name. Do I need to pay for this feature?

Message 12 of 55
Admin

Hey @PSSJIm, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up!

I'm going to run your post by our Directory Team for a closer look, and I'll be back as soon as I have an update. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 55

Thanks. I'll look forwrad to hearing back from you.

Message 14 of 55
Square

@PSSJIm - Happy to follow up on Tom's behalf. After syncing with one of our engineers, it looks like while first and last names appear on receipts - this data doesn't sync over to Instant Profiles. However, if you manually create a customer profile, you can include the full last name as well. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 15 of 55

This answer doesn't address my question. Remember that for our first 8 months of using the Square product, we were receiving the first AND last name in the transactions tab. But two months ago, we just started seeing first name and last initial only. This happens on 100% of our transactions. How can I get this information again? Is it an additional option that I am unaware of?

Message 16 of 55
Square

@PSSJIm - Awe! I think I know what you mean now. To fix this, we'll need to fix the customer's profile. To get going, click on the individual transaction from the Transaction tab of the Square Dashboard, click the name of the customer (it follows "Paid for by"), Click the "Edit" button then "Edit Customer" on their customer profile, add their last name, and then save. This will update all transactions that contain their name. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 17 of 55

I made a sale for $30. Customer paid with debit card.  Sale went thru,  they signed for it and left.  A few minutes later a screen came up saying the sale was no good.  What do I do?

Message 18 of 55

Hello @Mel1, it sounds like the transaction might have voided on Point of Sale. If you don't accept the signature after two minutes the sale will void. 

You will have to reach out to your customer to reprocess this sale. For voided transactions we won't have the customers contact info since a receipt was never sent. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. 😔

Message 19 of 55

How do I find the name of puchaser

Message 20 of 55
Admin

Hi @Marshsidegaller! I think Sean's Best Answer in this thread  is what you're looking for (if you haven't found it already): How can I see the name of the customer whose card I swiped? 

👍

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 55