x

Square for Retail: I'm trying to print jewelry tags, is there a way to edit the size?

The title of this thread was updated from its original title: “I'm trying to print Jewelry tags, but the barcodes are too big. Is there a way to edit the size?”

We are trying to print Barbell tags for jewelry but the barcodes are printing to big and the layout is wrong. We are looking for a way to downsize and reposition the barcode on a Zebra LP2824 printer. 

Message 1 of 67
1 Verified Answer
Tom
Verified Answer

Re: Smaller barcode labels

Hi @Jennifer321, welcome to the seller community and sorry for the delayed response.

I was able to run your post by our Retail Team and they are tracking this request, but we do not have a specific timeline for when a smaller barcode label may become available. I can certainly see how having a smaller label for jewelry is important for presentation and functionality. 

We will update this list as soon as more sizes are added: Create and Print Barcode Labels.

Please keep in touch and let me know if any other questions come up!

2 Best Answers
Super Seller

Best Answer

FYI, I don't have a Zebra printer, so I've been doing everything manually regarding printing barcodes. Once I decide on a simple SKU number for that item (and I've found small SKU numbers generate barcodes that scan better with my inkjet printer), I enter the SKU on a website that generates an image file of the barcode (from onlinelabels.com). I then place that barcode on a sheet in Indesign...(I used to be a graphic designer, so I'm used to working in pagelayout programs) and add prices. I copy and repeat as many as I need and print on my inkjet printer.

FOR JEWELRY, I make a small horizontal cardstock label with my logo, and affix the barcode label to the other side. I tie it around the necklace chain or ring. 

Hope this helps. I know this is a lot of manual work, but I couldn't invest in a label printer so this is my best work around.

View Best Answer >

Message 17 of 67
Beta Member

Best Answer

I just bought some blank labels online .875 x .5 inches

Also there was free barcode generating program at Amazon.

Most of the places you order these stickers for barcodes have free template or program to make your own and print.

So made and printed my own from normal inkjet printer and my square barcode and app reads it perfectly.

Actually I was able to squeeze in my store logo on the label too and looks pretty nice.

View Best Answer >

Message 31 of 67
66 REPLIES 66

@ Tom I own a jewelry store and need to use  Zebra 2.2x0.50 (1in ID, 5in OD) Butterfly Label Product SKU: 10010064 with Zebra ZD410 Printer with Square? Any help please. 

Do you work for Square? I just don't understand how Square doesn't inferface with jewelry labels or how Zebra does not interface with MAC's? Bartender software doesn't either. Just wow!

Thank you,

Louisa

Message 43 of 67
Square Community Moderator

Hi @lulu90803

It looks like you're using the correct printer, as that model should be compatible with Square. What was it that you were running into trouble with? 

Make sure to select the correct label size options and double check your settings are set to scale at 100%. Disable any setting that would Fit to print.

If you run into trouble, it might be best to reach out to Zebra support directly to see if they can troubleshoot the errors that you're seeing. 

Message 44 of 67

I need to tag jewelry (the pieces are not on cards). Do I have to use a third party or is there a way to do this from square? I have a Dymo Turbo 450 printer that can print dumbbell style, I just need to format the info. Why doesn’t square allow this option? 

Message 45 of 67
Admin

👋Welcome to the seller community and thanks for your post, @Dmitt.

I went to check for any updates on this and there isn't anything I can access right now. Some other sellers did bring up a similar request and discussed some workarounds in another thread—have a look at "Smaller bar code labels". We'll circle back to that post with any developments that may be helpful for jewelry/dumbbell style tags.

Hope this helps for now. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 46 of 67

Hi,

Have you been able to find a barcode style that will work these small price tags?  I'm also using a Dymo 450 with 30299 Price Tag Labels (2 up) for my jewelry store.  

It's clear we have to find a customized way to print these, have you had luck with the Dymo software to print these?

Thanks in advance!

Message 47 of 67
Admin

Thanks for checking in here, @CustomCarat. We don't have an update for jewelry-sized tags on our end at this time. If you haven't already, you may want to touch base with DYMO directly for any other workarounds for your items. Sorry for any frustration this may cause—please keep in touch.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 48 of 67

Desperately want to be able to continue using the barbell labels I have been using for 14 years...but Square for Retail does not offer this particular template for Dymo nor Zebra.

Does anyone have a work around? I find this pretty bizarre that no one has figured this out yet... particularly square!

Message 49 of 67

Has anyone found a workaround for printing onto butterfly labels for things such as jewelry, sunglasses, etc..?

We're using a Dymo Labelwriter 450 and Square offers us only two label sizes, neither of which are suitable for these types of items. 

We just switched from ShopKeep which allowed numerous sizes.

Message 50 of 67
Alumni

Hi there @rarebloomshop 🌺 

I've moved your post over to this thread where others shared what they've been doing.

Take a peek at the Best Answers here from @HC_Charlie + @cornerstore!

I hope these tips help - let us know if other questions come up.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 51 of 67

Square is so user-UNfriendly SMH. 

Message 52 of 67
Beta Member

I suggest you put in a feature request to have a built-in label designer within square.

I use Shopify for online and Square tor POS
Shopify is my master and I use the app "Barcode man" to design my layout and print within Shopify. very easy ( on a small jewelry tag i get the barcode, the sku, the description, the MSRP and the Sale price. ( i use Rat tail JEWELRY tags from Kassoy style 301)
it works with Zebra 420 (thermal transfer) and 410 (Direct transfer)

I use a Shopify app called Square Sync to link the two systems together. which keeps the qty correct.

limitations with this setup
Gift cards and coupon codes are not Omni
Two Sales reports one for Shopify ONLINE and the other for Square POS

Message 53 of 67

This topic is labeled solved, but I do not see that it is. I am trying to print to specific labels. I have the upgraded Square for Retail Plus and am using a name brand printer (DYMO 450) and DYMO labels which were purchased specifically because Square's help indicated the DYMO 450 was supported. However the drop down for labels in Square is unbelievably short and does not include my specific labels. How do I pull down the format needed for the specific labels I am using? Can anyone show me where the solution to this problem is?

Message 54 of 67
Super Seller

Hello @ICHMS thanks for your post. Here is a list of compatible printers and label sizes. Unfortunately I do not think Square for Retail Plus can accommodate all of the sizes of Dymo labels. These are specifically listed in the help article:

• DYMO Label 1738595: ¾” x 2 ½” 

• DYMO Label 30336: 2 ⅛” x 1”

• DYMO Label 30330: ¾” x 2”

• DYMO Label 30334: 2 ¼” x 1 ¼”

Message 55 of 67
Super Seller

@ICHMS ;

My suggestion is to use DYMO software with your DYMO labels to create your barcodes off of Square and on a regular computer.  I do this with my 4 Zebra printers.  I can put what information on the labels I want and where I want.  The DYMO software should have a barcode generator in it.  Once you create the barcode for your labels Save them on your desktop so they are easy to locate.  I created a folder called Labels, in that folder I have more folder by category, then the item.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 56 of 67

Any update to having barbell or butterfly barcode labels as options with square for retail?  We use them for jewelry and have greatly missed the ability to print these since moving to square.  

Message 57 of 67

Hi @Bnovak,

I see this is your first post! So happy to have you join the Seller Community.

At the moment Square does not have barbell or butterfly labels as an option. But I have heard sellers use rat-tail labels as a potential work around.

I hope that solution works for you in mean time! Please reach out if you need any further assistance. 

Message 58 of 67

Is there an update on the butterfly or barbell label printing from square? This is such an obvious need for so many people trying to sell jewelry. I've been waiting 10 or more years for this solution!! Quite literally.

Message 59 of 67

We use a zebra printer which was recommended by square to work with Mac. It seems all the workarounds are for dymo. We are now working in a mac environment so the zebra was a better fit... Catch 22

Message 60 of 67

Hello @ExpressionsCoop thanks for checking on this feature request! It is definitely a priority for our Retail Product Team. We are getting ready to do some beta testing on our Square Register in June. I am happy to add you to the beta list. To confirm you are using a register? 

Message 61 of 67
Super Seller

@Bnovak, What printer are you using?  When printing a barcode there are rules for making a barcode, so any software that prints a Code 39 barcode will all print it and create it the same way.  For your Barcode to read, you need to find out what barcodes your scanner can read, and that it works with both Square and Your operating system, Ipad, Android, Square Register etc.  Let's assume you have the scanner and your hardware system and Square all reading and working with the Barcodes you currently print or get on items you sell.  Now your only problem is to print barcodes on a Barbell / Jewelry tag. 

What type of printer and Label are you using?  Are you using an ink jet printer and sheet labels, a direct thermal Printer with a roll of labels etc.   If you are using sheet fed labels and a standard inkjet or toner based printer there should be templates for the Barbell labels from the label manufacturer.  If you are using a Thermal Label printer, you can either get a template sometimes from the Label Manufacturer or design your own with your Thermal Printers Software.   I currently make my own Barbell Labels with barcodes and other information on them for my items, and use Square to scan the items when we sell them.  Now this is not through Square formatting for these Labels since there are a lot of various size and types of labels.  My Direct and Transfer Thermal printers are all Zebra 420 series printers.  So I downloaded and Installed the Zebra Software and use it to create my Barcodes and other types of Labels.  So whatever brand of Printer you have, you may have to google how to use their software to create different labels.  I know Dymo label Printers come with or you can download their software and print from a Spreadsheet or data file, with Zebra software you have to buy the upgraded software to print from a spreadsheet or other data file.  So what I have done is created and organized folder by category and then have each Item in that category like it is in my Square items Catalog.  So I created the label saved it to my desktop, then when I need to print another one I just open that file, press Print, then give a quantity and hit print again.  This way I can print my labels on standard white labels, Barbell labels and my custom labels.  here is another link that has examples of my labels including a Barbell label that I printed for our store.

Is-there-a-way-to-add-business-name-to-a-Dymo-barcode-label/m-p/363630#M100545 

Message 6 of 7 has the pictures of my labels with our name and other information on labels, and I use Aztec 2D codes for some of my products and the barbell label has 1D Code 128 barcode for the 123456789012 barcode I believe.  I try to avoid barcodes that could be read as GTIN through Square. 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 62 of 67

Hey, thanks for  this to resolve this you need to adjust the size and layout of barcodes for jewelry Boxes tags when using Square for Retail with a Zebra LP2824 printer, follow these steps: First, make sure you're logged into your Square for Retail account.

Within the item details, locate the barcode settings, and you should find options to customize the barcode size and layout , you can read more about Custom Packaging Boxes.

Message 63 of 67