x

Is there a way to import UPC codes into items?

I want to import my inventory into Square, but I use UPC codes.  Is there a way to bring those over into Square?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 26
2 Best Answers
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

You can definitely bulk import your inventory and items, including your UPC numbers, into your Square Account. In our system and in our import template, this is listed as the SKU number. 

You can read how to bulk import your items in this Support Center article here.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
Admin

Best Answer

Good news for those of you who are set up with Square for Retail and Square for Retail Plus: You can now upload both UPC and SKU values to the Item Library using the GTIN field.

For an illustration and step-by-steps on how it works, check out our Support Center: Using GTINs with Square for Retail.

The process on Point of Sale is still the same, though I hope this update on Retail helps simplify your workflow!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center

View Best Answer >

Message 24 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Best Answer

You can definitely bulk import your inventory and items, including your UPC numbers, into your Square Account. In our system and in our import template, this is listed as the SKU number. 

You can read how to bulk import your items in this Support Center article here.

Message 2 of 26
Super Seller Alumni

Yes.  But we really need BOTH the SKU and UPC 😞

The SKU matches up with our inventory/accounting software and the UPC is for using a barcode scanner.

Message 3 of 26
Square

@sciabica1936 - We'll be sure to share your feedback with the Items team!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 26

Sharing feedback is not the same as fixing something that is broken. This is broken. 

j

Message 5 of 26

I would also like to log a vote for the SKU field and the UPC to be two different fields.  We sync our square system with BigCommerce and  with our inventory management system.  And we need to use our internal SKU to track everything.   We've had our SKU's setup in BC and Inventory management for years and now we are opening brick & mortar store and we can't just go change 100s of skus to be a UPC code instead of their existing SKU #. I tried to setup the sku as the bar code and it just overwrote the SKU number in Square.  This is a bit of a disaster.  Any chance this will be fixed in the next 30 days?

Message 6 of 26
Square

Hi @dhopeman. While I can't offer any sort of timeframe - I'm more than happy to pass along this feedback to our product liaison team. This sounds like it would be a great improvement for everyone in this thread. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 26

Please keep us posted this we also need UPC and SKU in seperate fields. We would need the inventory search use both these fields when invoicing to populate the inventory item. This would allow our associated to bar code scan items when invoicing or search by sku when the item is not at the register. We would not be able to convert to Square until this feature is added. To clarify we are using BigCommerce and it should be simple enought to map their UPC field to Square and add this in your inventory template. 

Message 8 of 26
Admin

Thank you for sharing your interest in this @dfleury. I don't have an update for you and I'm sorry. I'll share your post with the team and if this becomes available in future we'll let you know in this thread! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 9 of 26

I just need to ditto the above.  Need both UPC and SKU

Message 10 of 26

Is there an update on adding a field for UPC's? This conversation has been happening for a few years now and I do not see anything that has happened?

Message 11 of 26

Hi @alvasllc!

If this becomes available, we'll be sure to update the thread!

It looks like some other sellers offered alternatives in some third parties we work with above. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 26

I am also looking for Variations to include both SKU and UPC fields.  I am just learning how to work with the Square API and I see in the documentation the CatalogItemVariation data type includes both "sku" and "upc" fields.  It even states both fields are searchable!

I assume this means the UPC field will soon be integrated into the Dashboard and Square POS?!?  🙂

Message 13 of 26
Super Seller Alumni

As far as I know, only SKU is an option in Square.  If you want to scan products, you can no longer track by SKU.

They say they're working on it, but I started this thread over a year ago:

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/Retail-Group-Discussion/UPC-SKU/m-p/13370#M692

We've been using a complicated excel spreadsheet with "vlookup" to match UPC codes back to SKUs.

Message 14 of 26

Many/most retail POS systems use UPS for scanning and sku's for product/manufacturer item number. 

Please add an UPC field that can be added by simply scanning the item!

Message 15 of 26

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback on this @ericd1

Nothing new to report right now, but if anything changes we'll post an update!

Message 16 of 26
Beta Member

This is a red flag for me. I am about to set up inventory in Square but will now have to look at a completely different POS system. I can't believe that you have not yet responded to this request.  It is fundemental to a good inventory system.  I am hoping you have functionality  that is not reflected in this thread or the import template I downloaded today.  Please advise ASAP. 

Message 17 of 26

Yeah, the lack of support for both UPC and SKU codes was nearly a show stopper for us, too.  But after looking around a bunch more, I just couldn't find another POS system surpassing the other features Square offers, let alone the cost which seemed to average $60 per month, compared to $0 for Square.

We had to have a working barcode scanner for the UPC codes, so we put the UPC code into the SKU field.  But we also needed the our product code in each item to interface with our internal inventory system, so we adopted the convention of the starting the Name field with our product code, followed by a space, and then the name of the product.  I wrote PHP programs using the Square API to interface our inventory system with Square Items.  It's been working very well for us.

We have many items with colors and/or sizes.  Our product codes for those items use the same starting code followed by another code to indicate the color and size.  So we put the base product code in the Name field and the rest of the code in the Variation Name field (again, followed by a space and the variation description, e.g. "Red", etc.).  Each Variation has it's own UPC code.

We really like the look and feel of the Square POS, so were willing to find "work-arounds" for the parts that didn't easily fit the way our internal systems worked.  I hope this helps you.  Good luck!

Message 18 of 26

In the Items database, can't a "edit items" option be added, just like the "edit customer" is in the "Directory" database. This way a UPC field can be added as most of us need that sells wholesale! Then set the Invoice search field to look at all Square and User added fields, then find the unique matching data.

Message 19 of 26

one word: shopify. We're giving up on trying to make SQUARE work for the third year in a row just because of this bug - and that's what it is. Lots of products come with their own barcodes/ups codes - why on EARTH would a register system not accept already existting codes but force you to use their own randomly generated ones. 

And what retail system (reatil 101 guys) doesnt understand that UPC/Barcode and SKU are entirely different things.

Its ridiculous

Message 20 of 26

This is an absolutely ridiculous thing for square. Not everyone is a restaurant. In the REAL world of retail, when you are managing inventory across multiple channels, you need BOTH SKU and BARCODES/UPC. THEY ARE NOT THE SAME

BARCODE/UPC is for scanning and product id

SKU is for inventory management (hence the acronym) Stock Keeping Unit. I've waited 2 years for this to be fixed. Insane and irreponsible. Will have to stick with SHOPIFY>

j

Message 21 of 26