x

App freezes after charging customer

I'm using a Pixel XL 2 currently running Android ver 8.0 OPD1.

It connects to the chip reader just fine, and I input the amount manually, then press CHARGE. After that it takes me to the "approved" screen with a checkmark. It stops at that point. It doesn't take me to the next screen where the customer can sign, it just stays there.

It's kind of a soft freeze, because when I press the home button, I get a notification saying something like "there is a charge pending". Going back to the app doesn't help, same "approved" screen. I have to swipe the app out of recents to close it, then when I reopen it gives me a message saying (non-verbatim) "There was a problem with the transaction and it has been canceled.

In short I am completely unable to use the app at all on my main phone. The Pixel 2 XL doesn't come with a headphone jack natively so I can't test the old swipe device. I keep forgetting to bring the type-c to aux cable to work with me to test. In either case I would like to use the chip reader so that would only be a temporary measure.

I have not had this problem at all with any of my older devices (Pixel 1, HTC G5 etc) so its either an issue with the Pixel 2 XL or this version of Android.

My app is fully updated and I have given it all the permissions it requires. (Contacts, Location, Mic, Phone, Storage).

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

App version is 4.76.2

Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

There is currently a bug between Square and the Pixel xl 2 that has something to do with a different way Google is using an API call in android.  A current workaround is to lock the device into landscape orientation.  If you accept tips it may still crash the app as that seems to force app rotation even if the screen is locked :-(. It is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming Square release.

Message 3 of 5

Awesome, thank you. I don't see a landscape lock option. The only two options available to me are Portrait and Auto-rotate. So would it work if I turn on auto-rotate and try to process the transaction while in landscape orientation? Far as I know I don't have that option available to me, I'd have to use a 3rd party launcher like Nova to force orientation or look for some sort of overlay app. I'm sure there are dozens and I'll try them if you can't suggest a way for me to natively force landscape.

Again, thanks for the help

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

I am sorry, I said landscape but I meant Portrait.  Use that lock feature and see if it helps.  Again sorry I mixed up the orientations.

Message 5 of 5