x

COG disappearing - report incorrect

COG for items are disappearing. Sometimes, when using Square online, the COG column will be empty. It refills when I open & close items.

In November, when I've run COG reports, many items do not have a COG even though they do in the system & always have. (And there is nothing to fill in when I click "Some stock adjustments in your inventory history are missing unit costs" because the costs aren't missing.) These are all items that have been in there for months & have never had a problem.

Then, yesterday NOTHING recorded COG. Not even returns. I showed a 100% profit margin. 

What is going on? This is a very VERY big problem. My sales reports are completely screwed. I need to be able to fix & enter the COG for all the sales in November, & now yesterday, that have them missing so my books are straight. I also need this fixed ASAP because I can't have this issue running through the end of the year. I'm freaking out because of how incorrect my COG reports are. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hey! I'm really sorry to hear the frustration regarding your COGS reports. This report is very particular in it's requirements before it will work. If your COGS is not reporting, it is either that the item(s) don't have stock, unit cost, or have not been sold. If you cannot add unit costs to the items in Item History, then check to make sure the items were never deleted and recreated. If this happened, then you would not be able to add unit cost to the items (hence the link not working), and would also account for the items disappearing from COGS and then resurfacing. 

Also, check to make sure some items did not have inventory recount - this will affect the reporting of those items in COGS.

To recap the the base requirements of COGS:

1. Make sure to add a unit cost for each item variation for the COGS report to include the sale. If you’d like to add or update a unit cost for a historical adjustment, just head to the History tab of your online Square Dashboard. Bear in mind, the Cost of Goods Sold report is calculated based on FIFO (first in, first out) sales of items received with a cost. For example, if you have one item, let's say socks, that has a quantity of 4, but only 2 had a unit cost assigned, then COGS will not report after the 2 items with unit cost have been sold.
  2. Make sure each item being sold has positive stock
  3. Also, the COGS report only accounts for completed item sales.

Also, when you refer to Square online - are you using our Online Store, or another online store integration? 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3

Thank you but your suggestions are not helpful for my situation. Maybe for someone else though.

Nothing was updated, changed, uploaded, modified in any way. It does not matter if stock is positive or negative. Clearly there was a problem with Square because an entire day, the 1st of December, had 0 items with COG. Through the month of November (not October) when I would go to my online square dashboard, items would show nothing in the Unit Cost column. I had to open & close an item to get it to show up. Randomly items had nothing for COG when I ran reports.

Ultimately, this WAS an issue with Square because now all my COG are showing up - and I did nothing but post on this thread.

Message 3 of 3