x

Cannot save item changes after adding tax

Hi all!

While trying to add menu items, I noticed that it wasn’t adding sales and city taxes. So I manually added them, but then I received the red bar error message that “something went wrong.”

Any guidance here would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

Not quite sure I understand but I will try to explain how taxes and square works. From your dashboard you go to taxes and create the taxes you need. Just as an example let’s use sales tax. Here in California sales tax applies to every thing except food items. So once you create the tax you have the option to go thru your item list and select the items or categories that the tax will apply to. At that point it should be automatically applied at time of sale. That will also show up as an option in each item so at time of sale you should be able to click on each item in your cart and scroll down to see the option to toggle tax on or off for that item for that sale only

Message 2 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Hearthtender,

@homeprogreen advice is spot on - take a look at this guide, if you still have trouble with taxes. Please let us know how you go!

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

@Hearthtender ;

If you log into your Square Dashboard and go to Settings Taxes you should be able to add your State Sales tax and then add another Tax for city Tax. I never tried having two taxes but it should work since I know Philadelphia has a City tax on top of the State Sales tax. When you add these taxes you need to choose which items these taxes get applied to.  Meaning we sell candles which are taxable in Pa, but we also sell T-shirts and Fudge that are non-taxable items.  You can also set which locations these taxes are for.

Here is a link to your Sales Tax Page:

manual-taxes 

Here is an article to setup taxes:

How to setup Your taxes 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 4 of 4