x

Chip reader (dip) is no longer working

Hello.  I just started using my chip reader and had successfully processed a handful of transactions by dipping the chip card in.

After that, however, nothing changed in my working environment and all of a sudden the chip reader does absolutely nothing when chip cards are inserted.

It's fully charged, the chip reader app says "Reader Ready" and I have unistalled/reinstalled app, updated my iphone, and followed all other troubleshooting tips.

At times, the reader displays one green light followed by a red light (but again, all 4 green lights appear to suggest it's fully charged).  The reader will also beep occasionally.

I can successfully manually enter payment details but would like to fix the Dip option.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Interesting @JC10002, have you tried plugging the reader into the charger and tried processing a payment? Also how long do you typically go between charging the reader? 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 😀

Message 2 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

Also until you get the reader fixed don't manually enter, swip the cards.  You don't want to run the risk of chargebacks or a higher fee rate.

Message 3 of 8

Hi RHatch,

I once tried to process via the swiper and it recognized that the card had a chip and said I must use to chip reader for this purpose.  I did have to manually enter more cards than I hoped to have to do.

Message 4 of 8

Hi, I have not tried to process payment with it plugged in.

I just received the reader, processed a few payments, then tried charging it to see if that would help, and it didn't fix that issue.  Thanks, Chad.

Message 5 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

If the chip reader is connected it will tell you that.  If you disconnect the chip reader then you can swipe any card.  Try this,  Press and hold the white button on the back of the reader for about 20 seconds.  This should completely reset the reader.  Then reconnect it and see if it works.  I could just be a bad reader.  

Message 6 of 8

Ahh, I see.  I get it now.  I will try those suggestions and see how it goes.

I appreciate it.

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for helping out here @RHatch

@JC10002 Let us know if this worked for you and if not we can investigate a bit further and figure out what's happening. 

Message 8 of 8