x

Chip reader update issue - restarts at 99% updated

My phone connects to my chip reader, then it starts to update the reader. It gets to 99% updated, briefly says connected and ready, then disconnects, reconnects and immediately restarts the update all over again starting at 0% until it gets to 99% again and then repeats. It keeps doing this entire cycle three times and then fails and won't connect again until I do a hard reset.

I've tried it with two different Android phones. I've followed all of the troubleshooting steps numerous times including the hard reset (red lights), unpairing and pairing again, shecking that my Square app is updated, etc. etc. etc., so please don't ask me to try those troubleshooting steps. I've also looked at numerous community help messages and only found one that seems to be the same issue, from Canada, and it wasn't helpful. I seem to have exhausted all self-help avenues.

Before this update issue, this chip reader worked seamlessly since 2019 when I purchased it and has successfully completed previous chip reader updates. Fortunately, the mag strip reader still works, so I'm able to take payments that way using an adapter to plug it into my phone's USB C port.

If anyone has any additional ideas, I'd really appreciate it. I don't process very many payments per year and it seems wasteful to buy a new reader when this one is so lightly used and definitely shouldn't be worn out.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @JuJuSqr

Sorry to hear you're having this recurring issue with your Contactless + Chip Reader. 

So it looks like you've tried all of the initial troubleshooting steps I would normally recommend. 

Could you confirm if your device and app are running on update software? Also, what device are you using with the Contactless + Chip Reader?

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 7

Hi @Kassi_  thank you for responding!

I tried doing the update of the device using both a Pixel 4 phone and a Pixel 2 phone. Both phones have the current version of the Square app installed. The Pixel 2 is on an older version of Android, not the latest one, because Google has stopped updating those phones.

I had been using the Pixel 2 with the device ever since I purchased it in 2019 and never had any problems. When the issue happened with the update not completing, I unpaired the Pixel 2 and paired to the Pixel 4, hoping that the newer phone would resolve the issue. The Pixel 4 is on the latest version of Android that was recently pushed out.

Message 3 of 7

@JuJuSqr -

Thank you for providing all of that information for me. 

At this point, I would recommend reaching out to our CS Team directly, so this issue can be reported to our engineers to keep track of them: 1-855-700-6000.

Kassi
Message 4 of 7

This happened to us.  We haven't used/updated the reader in awhile.  I suspect the firmware updater is dumb and incrementally updates by version number rather than jumping to the most recent version.  Plug in power to reader and tablet and leave them alone to let it go through its update cycles.  I left mine overnight and it was working again the next day.  Square tech support doesn't have a clue this is happening.  I wonder how many good readers were sent to the garbage because of this...

Message 5 of 7

Anyone get a resolution to this, I only use my reader about 4 times a year, it was sketchy in Nov but tried a bunch of things and got it working, then this Feb I tried for hours and it never connected in time for my sale, and I tested it 2 days ago and worked fine, tested again today (day before event) now its just doing the same cycle and now customer support is closed.

Message 6 of 7

Hello @jsilljer

If you have tried the troubleshooting steps shared here including the ones mentioned by @SailingAwaits you will want to reach out to our support team. You can give them a call at 855-700-6000 between 6 am - 6 pm Pacific Time Monday-Friday. If you call outside of these hours, you will be required to enter your Customer Code to validate your account.

You can also get in touch with our Messaging and Email Support Teams here.

JJ
Message 7 of 7