x

Contactless and Chip Card reader: Endlessly stuck in "Establishing a Secure Connection"

I have been using Square for years with no problems.  When the Chip Reader Magstripe came out I bought one, then another a year or so later for when I travel.  They have worked just fine up until about a month ago.  Some days they were slower to establish a connection than others but within a few minutes, they would always connect.  Now, I cannot get them to connect and I've waited upwards of an hour.

I'm using them in the same space I always have, they have a full WiFi signal and I've tried mobile data too.  I've opened the app first, tried unplugging and replugging.  The app recognizes the reader is plugged in but the orange bar is stuck at "establishing a secure connection."

I tried them on my iPad, the same problem.

I have made sure they are fully charged.  They are clean. 

I've tested both readers which previously worked just fine.  One is used regularly, the other one rarely, so it isn't "worn out."  

I logged out of the square app, uninstalled it, rebooted my phone, reinstalled the app still, same. 

I checked my app settings, the microphone has permission and was previously working fine.

So WTF, is there some sort of hardware update?  I had to resort to pulling out my old fashioned plain old mag stripe reader, yeah that works.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Admin

@Nailgirl It sounds like you've been through a lot of troubleshooting steps but can you try resetting both of them? The steps to reset your reader are listed here. This usually helps! 

If that doesn't do the trick the next step would be to call our CS team to see if there's anything else we can do to help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 5

Thank you for responding.  I don't see a reset button on the reader.  I have two magstripe chip readers, the first style that came out, not the contactless one.  Am I missing something?

Message 3 of 5
Admin

@Nailgirl Oh that was my mistake, I though you had the Contactless reader. Can you go ahead and call our CS team when you get a chance? They can help you to troubleshoot your chip card reader.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 5

I'm having the same issue from over 2 weeks. Ever since the Square retail app self-updated on my Ipad (12.1.4) to 2.1.4 it keeps disconnecting from the square stand and all other attachments (printer, barcode scanner and contactless chip reader) it's very frustrating. To rules out any defect in the square stand, I even bought a new one from best buy and tried with it but still having the same issue.

Did all sorts of reinstall and resets still having the issue. Rep asked me to send a video of the issue and I did on Friday waiting on some response this coming week. 

I simply think there is some bug in their new updated app which is causing the issue. 

Message 5 of 5