x
Beta Member

Custom IP address for Ethernet Printer in Square IOS POS

I have ethernet printers, both epson and star micronics in my network with a Netgear router and I can find them by IP through browser. The Square iPad app doesnt let me type in the IP address and doesnt find any by scanning.

My network is 192.168.10.X is that a problem? Should I change it to 192.168.1.X for the autoscan to work? Or open certain port? Do you also support the 880IV in addition to 880V from Epson? Certain magic configuration or firmware version?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller Alumni

As long as you are on the same network you should be fine.  What are the models of the printers?  Are they on the compatibility list?

Message 2 of 10

Hi,

Is your iPad able to see the printers in the standard printing options (IE: Photos - Airprint or whatever it's called). If you can see the printers in applications outside of Square then it's a Square-Printer compatibility issue.

If you're unable to see the printers regardless of the app your iPad is using then make sure you're connected to the same router as the printers and make sure they are "iPrint" or whatever apple calls it compatible. You might have to update the printer firmware. 

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

@atozmedical,  that's not accurate.  I believe most receipt printers are NOT AirPrint compatible.  I use a Star TSP143 and I can not print to it from any app except for POS applications like Square Point of Sale, etc.

As long as it is on the same network the Square app will instantly see it.

Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

yes i can print from cashy app in ios, i habe the u220 am t88iv printers. i can go to the ip address in safari. only thing i think is maybe it requires default gateway of 192.168.1.1, mine is 192.168.10.1

Message 5 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

The T88IV is not compatible with square.  The U220 is conpatible.  Gateway does not matter if everything is DHCP.  Did you set a static IP on the printer or iPad?  If so I would remove it and go with DCHP or verify you have the correct information.  If you gateway is infact 1.1 and you entered 10.1 into the printer then that would be the problem.

Message 6 of 10
Beta Member

Thanks, I actually have U220b, is that ok? Yes I have dchp, i can see the printer from safari on ipad, its 192.168.10.4 and the ipad is 192.168.10.3 but square doesnt see it. Any ideas how it does the ip scan?

Message 7 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

There is an app called Fing that you can scan your network to see what is on it.   The list doesn't list a letter just U220.  I would think it would work but it may not be compatible with Square.

Message 8 of 10
Beta Member

Yes that app finds the printer ok....

Message 9 of 10
Super Seller Alumni

So it sounds like the "b" version of that printer is the problem.  Sorry!

Message 10 of 10