x

Customer has wrong email attached to their card - how do I tell them to change it?

We have had multiple customers tell us the receipts are being sent to either old email addresses or wrong email addresses. How do they change the email that the receipt goes to?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

I am getting the same request.  Old emails attached to their square account.  How do we tell them to change it?

Message 2 of 10

I had a conversation with Trent at Square. Bottom line is you, the merchant, has to call Square and ask them to unlink the number from the card. In our case a previous merchant put in the wrong email. Trent said he would inform our customer by email which merchant put in the incorrect email. 

They need to have a feature whereby the merchant can unlink at the time of the purchase . This issue makes merchants look bad.

Message 3 of 10

Here's the email he gave me to rectify this issue.

Give them the amount , time and last 4 of the credit card

Message 4 of 10

[redacted - email address]

Sorry i I hit enter too fast

Message 5 of 10
Admin

Thanks for your help with this @Helenas!

Unfortunately, we're not able to provide Support from that email address at this time so I had to remove it. I'm very sorry for the confusion and I'll let Trent know as well! 

If your customers need to contact our Support team please ask them to reach out form here: http://squ.re/contact. Ask them to click 'I don't have a Square Account' and to provide the details you mentioned about a recent purchase from your business/another Square merchant. With that information our Support team can unlink their inactive email address from their payment card. Once unlinked, your customer will see the option to enter their current email address after their next purchase from a Square merchant! 

Apologies again for the confusion. If you or your customers have any questions about this please let me know! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 10

I do not understand this response. Please write again in smaller words that address the issue. 

Trent told me he would unlink and send both the customer and our business a copy verifying that the email was unlinked. We have not gotten any email from him. 

This is is annoying to our customer and makes us look bad. We should be able to address and fix this type of issue with far greater ease .

Message 7 of 10

Hello @Helenas, sorry to hear about the delay. I will make sure to follow up with Trent to see what happened with the email. 

I believe what @Helen was trying to say is, if your customer needs to change the email address they can contact our Support Team directly. You don't have to reach out on their behalf. 

Your customers would just have to contact our Support Team using this link http://squ.re/2f1J9fL. And then select the option "I don't have a Square Account". Your customer will then be able to email our Support Team and they will remove the incorrect email address. 

Your customer will need to provide the amount of the transaction, the date, the last 4 digits on their card, the brand of the card, and the name of the seller. All of this information is required to track down the payment. 

I'll make sure to share your feedback with the Product Team regarding being able to correct email addresses for receipts. 

If you still have questions please let me know. I would be happy to help. 

Message 8 of 10

The problem with your response is that the customer does not always know where the email went so it is impossible for them to Click any links on a receipt.

Its only when we as we , as the merchant  , look into the detail and show them where it went that they become aware the email or phone is incorrect.

its at that point that we as the merchant should fix the issue........then we look good . If we cannot fix the issue we look suspiciously incompetent. 

Trent gave me an email but Helen on your staff removed it .

Message 9 of 10

@Helenas, I see where you're coming from, but the customer doesn't need a copy of the receipt to contact us about it. The link above will allow your customer to contact us. We see this happen from time to time on the Support Team. 

Helen had to remove the email address, because its a violation of our Community Etiquette Guidelines to post emails on public comments. 

Also if it was an email address from our Support Team I don't recommend trying to send direct emails to it. Theres a chance the emails could be misrouted and they might not receive a response. Using the steps outlined above your customer will be able to reach our Support Team to fix the issue. 

I've already gone ahead and passed your feedback along to the Product Team, in regards to editing customers email receipts in Point of Sale. 

If you have any other questions or suggestions please let me know. i would be more than happy to help out. 😀

Message 10 of 10