x

Device Passcode Required?

I have used Square for a few years now with no problems or issues; great app!

Recently had to replace my iPhone.  Now when I open, there's a yellow bar across the top with "device passcode required".  It can connect to my reader, but will not function.  Had to enter card numbers in manually.

I had never previously used any passcodes.  I have no other employees, so I'm the only one using the app.

I have since created a passcode, but that only allows me entry when I open the app.  And yellow bar and message still there.

What gives?  I imagine has something to do with my new iPhone?

Suggestions and (hopefully) answers welcome!  ThQ!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi @TLW - Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Square Seller Community👋

It sounds like you may need to enable a passcode within the settings for your iPhone in order to use our Tap to Pay feature.

With Tap to Pay on iPhone, you can securely accept contactless payments from Samsung Pay, Apple Pay, Google Pay and NFC-enabled cards on your iPhone without a card reader. Simply enter an amount, tap charge, and have your customer tap their NFC card or device with tap-to-pay capabilities to complete the transaction.

To prepare your iPhone to use Tap to Pay:

1. Make sure your iPhone is running iOS 15.5 or higher. To check if your software is up to date, go to Settings > General > Software Update. 

2. If you haven’t already, set a passcode for your iPhone by going to Settings > Face ID & Passcode. Tap to Pay on iPhone requires a device passcode.

3. If you are not already signed in on your iPhone, go to Settings > Sign in to your iPhone. If you are already signed in, you will see your name at the top of the Settings screen.

I hope this information is helpful and is able to resolve the issue but please do let me know if you have any additional questions by replying to this post 😊

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Hmmm, I have never used "Tap to Pay" and don't have a need for that.  Just want to be able to have my reader accept and charge on a credit card when I slide it into the slot.

Are you saying it is now required to have a passcode on my iphone in order to make Square card readers function as they have in the past?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

This is a requirement in order to use Apple's Tap to Pay on iPhone. If you wish to disable this requirement then you will need to disable Tap to Pay.  This can be accomplished by visiting More > Settings > Account > Tap to Pay on iPhone and disabling the setting and restarting your app.

This will remove the passcode requirement @TLW

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4