x
Beta Member

How to do a return on a split transaction to a new gift card

When a person that has purchased an item on a split transaction of a gift card (they received as a gift) and a personal credit  card and they come back in to return it will not allow me to return all credit to a new gift card ( I only do exchanges or in store credit for returns.)  It always returns the amount she purchased back onto her credit card and the other onto the gift card she got as a gift which I no longer physically have.  What or how do you all handle this.  It is so frustrating.  I am out all that money and have to scramble to figure out how to put the return back onto a gift card that no longer exists?

Please HELP. I can't seem to get anyone from square to help me figure out this problem.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Alumni

Hi @jacdzg2 - are you not seeing the option to add/swipe a gift card? The screen comes after you select the itemized/custom amount option during the refund flow. Are you getting an error message? 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Beta Member

It always returns it to the original gift card she had when purchasing the item ( we no longer have that gift card - it had been disposed of). So the money is floating out there on a gift card that no longer exists. It was a split transaction of a gift card and a personal credit card.  It would not allow me to put the amount that she purchased on her personal card back onto the gift card.  It always returns it back to her credit card and only the amount that was on the original gift card back to the gift card that no longer exists.  So I have money floating out there on a gift card that does not exist and she gets her money back on her card ( I only do exchanges or store credit) so I get screwed out of this transaction all around.  This is happening a lot.  It is so frustrating.   How do I fix this???

Message 3 of 3