x

How to use Square without having a SSN (but instead an ITIN)

Has anyone here solved the issue of activating Square, without having an SSN, but instead an ITIN?

Thank you

TheBMan

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @TheBMan! Thanks for taking the time to reach out here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you. 

You may want to take a peak at this Activation Resource. You should be able to sign-up for Square using an ITIN in place of a SSN without issue. However, if .you are running into trouble - I would also suggest looking at these troubleshooting steps, as well. 

Let me know if there is a specific error message you are receiving or where the discrepancy lays! I am here to help.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4

Thank you Joe for your help. 

I've visited the website you recommended, and it gives me some hope.

But the below from customer support doesn't seem so flexible. Saying that the only way through is via SSN?

--------------------- 

Hi Brett,

My name is Kevin and I am so sorry to hear about the confusion, I would be happy to help as much as I can. 

For security purposes, both banking industry regulations and federal law require Square to ask for the Social Security number, date of birth, and full name for each of our customers. Even if you plan on using our services primarily for a business, we need this information to confirm that you’re either a citizen or a permanent resident of the United States. There isn’t a way to create a Square account without providing a valid SSN.

Kevin
Square Customer Success

ref:_00DE0Y7ru._5000L1PtjXK:ref

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi again, @TheBMan. So sorry for the confusion here. 

I think there might have been some confusion in regards to your message from our Customer Success agent. Per our activation guidelines, we can start you up an account using an ITIN in some cases - but you do need to contact us to see if you qualify. 

When it comes to a TIN (in lieu of an ITIN), you can not activate an account with just a TIN - that can only be added after an account is created. 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4