x

I have internet, but reader is not connecting to it so I can take payments

I have been using my square reader (chip and magstripe) for a few years without issue, but recently it's been struggling to establish internet connection.  It will either take a long time and I'll have to plug/re-plug the device in multiple times, or it will never connect at all.  My internet connection is fine and I've even had this issue in other locations when I know the internet is working.  So, I bought a new reader thinking my old one was broken.  Now, I'm having the same issue but worse - now it won't connect at all!  The orange bar that appears at the top that tells me it's trying to connect to the internet, never appears.  The screen pops up saying the reader is connected and ready to use, but nothing happens when I swipe a card or put in the chip.  I have tried all troubleshooting suggestions (update app, uninstall and reinstall, force quit, giving permission for microphone, location, etc,)  Please help!  I'm having to key in all the credit cards and it is costing my business money. 

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

It could be your headphone jack that is bad.  Can you try it on another device?  Do you have a standard mag strip reader? That is better than manual entry. I personally don’t like the plug in chip readers. I got the Bluetooth reader and they work so much better. 

Message 2 of 4

I wondered if the headjack was not working properly, but my headphones work just fine?  Also, my two readers are behaving differently from each other, even though they are the exact same. The old one will connect to the internet eventually, where the other one won’t even try (no orange bar appears at all). I’m open to buying the Bluetooth reader if there’s no solution to this. 

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

Do your headphones have a microphone? Fours it won’t well? The readers use the mic line in not the audio out.  Use a can of air and blow out the jack. It could also be that bothe readers are bad. Yes even the new one. It happens. I would assume that your old one just doesn’t hold a string enough charge any more to keep it connected.  The other thing you can try is plug then in an launch you recording app. You should hear a pulsating sound. This is what it does to keep it connected to the secure server. 

Message 4 of 4