x

Is my phone compatible with the Contactless + Chip Card reader?

My phone gives me a "unrecognizable" message when I try and pair it with my contactless chip reader. It has a plug-in dock which I previously bought because I was having this problem before and it started working while plugged into the dock, but now not even that is helping.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hey there @Jasperzeke - thanks for making your first post to the community. 🎉

We work hard to ensure our card readers will work with as many phones and tablets as possible. The Motorola Moto X is not currently supported for use with the Contactless + Chip Card reader. You can check for compatible phones and tablets using our Device Compatibility search. 📲

Message 2 of 4

Thanks Russell, I will look into the link you provided.

What's odd is that it had worked in the past with the same phone, but now does not. 

I am a Ceramic Artist and only use square for card processing 3-5 weekends a year. The last time it was used was December of 2016 and it worked most the time then. We just had an art show for the first time this year in mid June, and we could not get it to work so we used the square swipe instead. 

Anyway, does the chip reader work with an Amazon Kindle fire tablet? I have a new one.

Thank you!

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Yes, it is a little funny that way. For unsupported devices, it doesn't mean that it won't work. It means that we haven't tested it and don't have a way to help if something goes wrong. All of our supported devices are listed on the Device Compatibility search (unfortunately, the Amazon tablets aren't supported at this time). 

My official recommendation is to stick to the list - it will ensure the most consistent experience for both you and your customers. 👍

Message 4 of 4