x

Items now requiring Variation Name

Hello,

I have noticed in the past few days that when I create a new item, it is requiring me to enter a variation name. This did not happen previously. I generally do not use this functionality except on a very few number of products, and would prefer not to clutter my inventory with such details. Is there a way to turn this requirement off?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square

Sorry to see you haven't received a response yet, @majpepper

Hmm interesting, I'm not sure when the particular field would have became required, but I'll note that it's always pre-filled with "Regular" for your default item variation. Even if you've removed the text previously, this item variation would be present. Your Item Sales report, for example, will still should the "Regular" price variation on items that you have not named otherwise.

In practice, the requirement for a single variation shouldn't change reports or how you manage your inventory, but can you let me know where that hasn't been the case? I'm happy to share the feedback. 

Thanks!

Message 2 of 4

The change definitely would have been in this past week as I add new items every week. Typically I delete the "Regular" default text and it never had a problem leaving it blank before. Because I import my item data into other software, this extraneous data often requires truncation in those apps, and we also use this data for our price tags where space is limited and appending "Regular" to an already long item name can be problematic

If I import new items with a .csv file, it still leaves the variation name blank without an issue, so this is what I have been doing, but it would be nice to not have to do this every time I want to add an item.

Message 3 of 4
Square

Got it, thanks for the additional info, @majpepper. I passed on our conversation to the team that works on the Item Library, and will follow up when I learn more. Thanks again!

Message 4 of 4