x

My customers information is not showing up on their receipt.

I am new to Square, having come from another merchant service provider. My customers are complaining to me because their information is not showing up on their receipt. ( Name - Invoice # - Referencing of Equipment ). I tried to remedy this issue by typing it onto the notes when running their card, but it doesn't show up on the receipt either. We are finding it difficult to manage our books as well due to lack of information. Could you please tell us what we can do to remedy it ?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @9697 and welcome to the Community!

You can have the customer's name show up on the digital receipt if you add them to your Customer Directory and make sure they're added to the sale before you make the sale each time.

You can add notes to the sale as well when running it, but that won't be visible to the customer. Just you as the seller.

Are all your sales done in person with the card present? I was going to maybe suggest Invoices instead but that wouldn't make much sense if they're all done in person. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

Thank you for replying. Currently, all of our credit card transactions are keyed in. Can you add customers to the directory without them being sent a message saying that you are requesting to store their information ? Last time I tried to set up a customer, so that they would see their information on their receipt, they called me to tell me that they did not wish to have their credit card saved in our system. It was a big problem, mostly because I didn't know they were going to be sent a request and I already knew they did not wish to store it.  

Since my customer already has an invoice that they are paying from, would creating an invoice on Square complicate it any further ? 

Message 3 of 8

@9697 Definitely! You can just add their name and written information. 

You don't have to add a card on file. That's just an option and that'll be the only thing that alerts them of you storing them in the system. 

As for the last thing, it all depends on how much has been taken for that invoice so far. Whatever total you make the invoice will be what's due so you'd want to just make it for what they haven't paid yet. 

Ashley C
Message 4 of 8

You've been so much help.

Can you create an invoice and take the customers payment as one transaction ?

Also, how would I go about making sure that customers are not sent a request to store their information. I haven't been able to locate that option ?

Message 5 of 8

@9697 More than happy to help! I'm glad this has been useful for you.

If you create the invoice, they would pay the invoice themselves via email. So you wouldn't be able to take the payment in person as one. 

You just won't select the option to Save Card On File when creating the customer in the Directory. You'd just have to ignore that option when creating the Customer Profile in the Customers section. 

Ashley C
Message 6 of 8

Thank you. 

Message 7 of 8

@9697 Any time! 

If you come up with any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. 🙂

Ashley C
Message 8 of 8