x

Need help with "item not found" when using a barcode scanner

I purchased a new bar code scanner LS2208 (USB) for my Square Stand POS. I used Shopventory to enter item information before I connected my scanner.

I upgraded my Square POS account to a Square Retail account. 

When we scan (any) item that is shown in our Items list, it says "item not found" even though they have been entered into the system through shopventory and are showing in our items list.

The scanner says it is connected, so that is working. The items list shows the inventory that we entered. 

What could be wrong?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

I purchased a new bar code scanner LS2208 (USB) for my Square Stand POS. I used Shopventory to enter item information before I connected my scanner.

I upgraded my Square POS account to a Square Retail account. 

When we scan (any) item that is shown in our Items list, it says "item not found" even though they have been entered into the system through shopventory and are showing in our items list.

The scanner says it is connected, so that is working. The items list shows the inventory that we entered. 

What could be wrong? 

Message 2 of 9
Super Seller

I've had some random issues when shifting around big batches of SKU's. I've found that depending on how you handle the .csv file, some involuntary formatting can occur and change the #'s in your SKU. For instance, Excel can sometimes omit the first zero, or zeros of a number, or you're formatting might add ".00" to the end. One time I was batch editing some inventory, and I didn't realize that some of the formattings had changed before I uploaded back to Square... So then every single barcode that began with a zero no longer scanned. Maybe it's unrelated. I just thought that your issue could be something other than the barcode scanner itself.

I tried Shopventory before, and I don't recall having any issues with the SKU's. 

We use the Socket Mobile barcode scanners btw... I think they're great. A little expensive, but what isn't these days.

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Thanks for bringing this up, @gamedaygraphics — and appreciate you sharing your experience with this, @LocavoreStore. 🙂

If there are still any questions about the "item not found" issue, feel free to reply here or send over an example to our Support Team — happy to have a closer look! 

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 9

All items are in my library and I’m trying to scan them for sale but and error keeps popping up. Not in my library. I had to manually look up and add every item. What happened? How can I fix this? 
thank you 

Message 5 of 9
Alumni

Really sorry to hear you had to manually look up your items @Yvonne2000. I can see how that slows down the checkout process and makes for a frustrating selling experience. 

You might find this thread I moved you to useful. Check out the tips @LocavoreStore posted above. If that doesn't work, our CS Team is available to walk through some troubleshooting steps. 

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 9

I have the same issue with items that I have manually entered into the system. It doesn't happen with everything. I can do a manual look up and add it to the cart. I am not understanding why this is happening when the barcode was generated by Square and item is in the library. Please help!

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hello @h2design

I can understand how looking up items can be time-consuming. If none of the troubleshooting steps in this thread have helped, I would suggest contacting our Customer Success Team. If you have retail, we do offer a specialized team that can assist in detail by providing more insight and maybe even walking you through some troubleshooting steps. 

Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 8 of 9

Hey all, I have the Socket Mobile barcode scanner and am having the exact same issues -- I've put all the items into my inventory with their GTIN/UPC/EAN code via the square dashboard, but on the iPad in the Square Stand at our register, it's giving us an error message of "item not found". Is it the scanner?! Is it the Square software? Is it the backend inventory system?? Whatever it is, please tell me how you fixed it!

Message 9 of 9