x

"Access Denied" when trying to connect chip reader

I've logged in as a team member and am denied access to set up a chip reader. I go to the settings menu to connect the card reader and it gives me the "access denied" screen saying I don't have permission to take this action. The same login was used an hour before on a different device and was able to connect properly. No settings were changed between users of the login. All devices have been iPhones.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 33
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey there @Cookie2. Sorry to hear you're having some trouble. A few things to check first: 

1) Is the OS (Operating System) up to date on your iPhone?

2) Is the POS app up to date?

Sometimes it also helps to delete and reinstall the app completely, as long as you don't have any pending Offline Mode payments.

Make sure those things are all updated. If you're still running into problems, give our team a call so they can go through some additional steps.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 33
32 REPLIES 32

Anyone else find it a but insulting that squares only response is something we have tried already before coming here? Not really good enough 👎. And fyi the user has already updated, uninstalled/re-installed, disconnected reader, reset reader, paired reader, triple checked compatibility with our devices, turn off wifi, turned on wifi. 

This is not a user problem. This is a bug on squares behalf that should be addressed by them.

Message 22 of 33
Alumni

There are additional troubleshooting steps you can run through here. We always suggest trying these first, as they should resolve most error messages. It sounds like you've tried most of them - thank you, @Jenna1!

If that's not getting you where you need to be, we encourage you to use the link provided by @JJ_ in order to contact our Support team so that we can take a deeper dive with you while looking at your account together.

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 33
Beta Member

Yes. We spend money on these things and when they don't work we get automated response. It's crap. 

Message 24 of 33

If your device is Android and you see "Reader unavailable secure session denial" most likely your device has enable developer option. You will need to disable "developer option" in order to use Square's chip reader. 

To do so:

1. Go to the settings page of your Android device
2. On the settings page, click on the "developer Option" you wanted to disable
3. You'll see a tab clicking on which you can disable your developer's option
4. Turn off to completely disable the mode 
Message 25 of 33
Beta Member

Does anyone here have the "Reader unavailable: secure session denial" problem solved by now?

I encountered this problem with a new tablet (android 10 ) and the Square app refuses to connect the chip reader (that I use on the older, slow tablets just before switching to this new tablet). All versions of all os, apps, and such are very much up to date, deinstalled/reinstalled /rebooted etc, Tried everything.

Called the support team but she let me do exactly all the basic troubleshooting steps that I did before. Her final advice was to " just use it on your previous old tablet then" or " buy a new chip reader" . Not amused, but I guess that is what I will do (assuming it will probably not solve the problem). Now all the chip readers are on back order, hahaha. 

Hoping anyone has a better advice?

Message 26 of 33
Beta Member

I have the same issue. Have a new Samsung 22 and device not working. Same message shows in app. Don't want to have to buy a new reader if I can't be sure that will even work! 

Message 27 of 33

If your device is Android and you see "Reader unavailable secure session denial" most likely your device has enable developer option. You will need to disable "developer option" in order to use Square's chip reader. 

To do so:

1. Go to the settings page of your Android device
2. On the settings page, click on the "developer Option" you wanted to disable
3. You'll see a tab clicking on which you can disable your developer's option
4. Turn off to completely disable the mode
Message 28 of 33
Beta Member

I have checked this and troubleshooted all he advice from this page. No deal. 

Message 29 of 33
Square Community Moderator

Hey @ChelseaPurdo,

Sorry that your still having issues connecting your Contactless + Chip Reader to your Android device.

If none of the steps above worked, I suggest contacting our Support team. It is hard for us to pinpoint what may be the issue via the Community without walking you through the steps in real-time.

When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here or calling us directly at 1-855-700-6000 Monday-Friday 6 am- 6 pm PST.

I hope this helps.

Message 30 of 33
Beta Member

Hi

I solved the problem! 

I had to go on to my desktop and redo the account activation prompts with abn and bank account etc. Once that was done, it allowed my square app to work! But had to be done on my desktop. 

Message 31 of 33

We've been using Square fairly reliably for the past year, however recently the app is randomly claiming that the devices we're using are rooted. We're using a handful of different Android devices.

We did test transactions while we were closed to make sure everything would work, but then as we opened the Square app decided 3-4 transactions in that the device was rooted and refused to take payments.

We've scrambled in the past to quickly install Square on our personal phones to keep things going, but that's not really a good solution.

What exactly is the Square app doing to check if a device is rooted (none of our devices are rooted, have developer options enabled, etc)? How can I manually test this not while there are a rush of people wanting to run transactions? How can I get the app to check again?

Message 32 of 33
Beta Member

Hi TheRxVancouver,

Please understand that the volunteer Community Members here are not the same as Tech or Customer Support.  Most likely, you may want to follow-up with Tech Support.  Seems this condition is more common to Android devices.  Since no one here is a programmer or developer, the settings the Square app is checking is just a guess.  Possibly the Square app thinks your device does not meet all the security requirements to support card processing.  One cause is having Developer options turned on but, per your post rules that out.  Another thought is to ensure that your devices are compatible, although you've been using your devices for a while, it may be a good idea to double check here.  If they are, then contacting Tech Support would be an option.  There's also some info here that provides some details and how to unroot a device as a last option - no guarantees there either.  Sorry, all of our devices run Apple IOS so we have not run into this issue.

Message 33 of 33