x

Short Descriptor not mapping correctly

I have a mobile app that uses PayPal for payment processing. With payments from my business into Square/Cash App accounts, the user sees my short descriptor as: “Black Mitch” which is NOT mine or my business’s name and seems to poorly describe me more than my product or service.

I have confirmed my settings are correct in PayPal and with all other banks the business name shows correctly. Also, payments from Cash App users to my business use the correct merchant name which validates for me the problem is with the short descriptor algorithm.

According to Stripe: Banks and card issuers use several data points from a given transaction to determine which friendly name and logo to display…If a bank or card issuer is mapping the wrong friendly name to a transaction, and you've verified the information Stripe is sending to the card network is correct, the card issuer must fix the incorrect merchant name/image mapping on their end.

Cash App technical support is non existent and every single customer service and rep and manager gives the same boiler-point response about changing my “verified Cash App user name” which has nothing to do with the concerns I raised.

So I’m coming to the Square community - please help!
1) is there a technical support or dev team I can contact directly to fix this issue with descriptor matching?
2) is there anything I can do on my end to fix this?
3) is there a Square/Cash App Merchant service email that can be used in the future?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Nomad_317  - I'm sorry to hear that this issue with your customers' receipts has brought you to the Seller Community.

Sometimes the geo-location on the digital receipt can be incorrect. I have heard the wrong business displayed on the digital map but not on an actual bank statement or description of a charge before 🤔 I suggest starting out by checking your receipt settings first here in your Dashboard. If the business address or name is incorrect, scroll down to the Business section at the bottom of the page and click edit details. 

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 2