x
Beta Member

Square For Restaurants - Kitchen Printer Randomly Missing Tickets

We are having a major ongoing issue with Square randomly not printing tickets to our kitchen printer. The only way we find out a ticket has gone missing is when a guest inquires about their order. 

We are extremely high volume restaurant - so the customers may end up waiting for up to an hour before we realize this happened. We then end up refunding the transaction in order to recover the guest.

This issue dates to April 2023 and I have been documenting the tickets (date, time, purchase amount) as told by Customer Support. I have three separate case #'s with no resolution or follow-up.

1. 80199586

2. 80669763

3. 82884036

I have screenshots of every order that has had a missing ticket. The issue most recently occurred this past weekend with 2 missing tickets within the same hour.

Customer Support refuses to resolve this issue and engineering is "asking for a video" to reproduce the error. We cannot reproduce the error -- there is no error message displayed on the Square Register when this occurs...so we cannot catch it until a customer approaches us asking about their order #. We then find the missing order under "Transactions" -- the order is there -- and manually re-print the ticket, and have our line cooks quick fire.

This is extremely stressful and causing us to potentially lose business.

Please help us!

Jeff Hinson

New Orleans, LA

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Super Seller

Hi @tulanejeff.  It sounds frustrating.  Ugh.  Obviously, since I’m not Square I can’t speak to what is going on with your outstanding tickets or behind the scenes.  But I can offer some troubleshooting steps.  If you’ve already done these or ruled them out, my apologies in advance for wasting your time.

First, I can’t remember a time that a kitchen ticket was “lost” when it was not also accompanied with a pop up error on the Restaurants POS.  It has been a while since that happened to me, but to the best of my recollection a pop up window appears that says there was an error sending the ticket to the kitchen, and requiring either a “resend/retry” or “cancel” button be pressed.  Since it sounds like your servers are in a hurry, is it at all possible that they (or someone after them) aren’t reading that window, or that they are pressing cancel or even resend a few times then giving up?  Of course, you or I would take that as a clue and tell someone higher up the food chain.  Employees sometimes aren’t always critical thinkers.  Ha.

Secondly, what kind of kitchen printer do you have?  WiFi? Wired? Bluetooth?  Honestly, it shouldn’t matter since no matter what connection you have, that “not sent to kitchen” message should appear if the ticket isn’t handed off properly.  Still, it’s worth knowing.

Third, the next time this happens, it would be useful (if you know which POS the ticket was entered on) to go to Accoumnt -> Send Support Ledger.  Then get on the line with customer support and inform them you sent this, along with any information to help them locate the transaction in that ledger.  I can’t be 100% as I’ve never used this for this particular type of problem, but I can say that whenever I’ve done this, it was helpful in determining what was going on inside.  

Lastly, have you considered using Square KDS, since you have Restaurants and I assume that you have at least Restaurants Plus?  KDS is no longer limited to iPads, and in fact in about a year it will only support Android tablets, so the expense is not crazy.  Since I’ve transitioned to those, I’ve not had a “lost kitchen ticket” pop up unless my entire network went down. 

Anyway, like I said, I’m just brainstorming.  I hope that you hear from someone at Square who can give you some resolution.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 17
Beta Member

Thank you for your reply and insights.

1. We do not experience the 'failed to print' popup window when these "missing ticket" errors occur.

I have seen this window appear before -- and it does give the cashier a chance to correct -- however no pop-ups appear when these go missing (fail to print). They show as successful in the printer queue which is really strange.

2. Square Register is on Wifi and kitchen printer (Star SP742) is on ethernet (same network/router - Eero)

3. We do not use the Square KDS - however I have thought about having our window expo (FOH staff) use it as a fail-safe / backup. The kitchen leaders prefer printed tickets however and we do not plan to use the KDS in the kitchen. I've also seen other threads here reporting that tickets also disappear / "go missing" from the KDS as well.

Hope the engineers take a real serious look at this.  

Really appreciate your insights from a fellow owner and operator.  We love Square...but really want this to be resolved for all restaurants and Square platform users in other cities.

Message 3 of 17
Beta Member

We use the Square POS, not Square for Restaurants, but have had this issue. Occasionally tickets won't print on our kitchen printer. It is an Ethernet printer. Sometimes it is because the ipad or Square Register got on the wrong Wifi network. But often, there appears to be no reason. But typically turning the kitchen printer off then back on fixes it. However, unless someone (front of house typically) notices a ticket didn't print it results in an order not being made and an unhappy customer. Not sure what the answer is, but just wanted to piggy-back on this thread and hope maybe to get some answers. Just being told to check out the online troubleshooting isn't really helpful, because we can resolve it, but preventing the issue is what I need to do.

Message 4 of 17
Beta Member

FYI -- this issued occurred again today with two missing kitchen tickets that failed to print. 

I have a new case open. Still no resolution. Case # 83625766 dated August 17. 

@Square Please advise what is happening with this platform error / bug...or reach out to me directly to discuss privately.

Message 5 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hello @tulanejeff 

Sorry to hear about this situation. Our team is aware of this situation and has worked on a fix to address this. If this ever happens again, please make sure to reach out to our Restaurants team for them to take a closer look at what might be happening with your configuration/hardware.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 17

i use kds and tickets sent from the register and from an iPad using square restaurant won't display - you never know when it is going to happen. It causes so much stress and loss of business. 

Message 7 of 17

Hi, @hshimshak - Violet here, following up for JJ. It looks like you still need help with this, so I kept the ball rolling on your inquiry.

I suggest starting out with the troubleshooting steps for Square KDS listed here. If this doesn't improve things, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Violet
Message 8 of 17
Beta Member

Hello @JJ_ , I relise this thread is from last year but do you have a fix for this for all of you sites? I am having this exact same issue. It's only 1 or 2 per day out of over 200 tickets. It can be an online order, in person, or someone inside of the dinning room. I have multiple examples of this sitting in my office and I just switched to @Square less than a month ago. We currently have six examples and I have contacted support multiple times with no resolution. Our IT guy has troubleshot everything on our network and there are no issues on it.

Message 9 of 17
Beta Member

Hello,

I have been with Square for less than a month and have had constant issues with the kitchen printers missing entire orders. It can be online, from handhelds, or to-go orders. The orders show up on the display, but the ticket never prints to either of the two printers in the kitchen. We have gone through all of the troubleshooting steps listed on the website with no resolution as well. It I like the printer is just never being told to print the ticket. This happens on one or two tickets the entire day so less than a single percent of overall tickets but as @tulanejeff said in his post, it makes a horrible experience for the customers because the kitchen never gets the order to know it needs made. We usually have to also comp the meal to save the experience for the customer which can be costly – especially if it is a catering or large dinning room order.

I have reached out to Customer support many times and have an active ticket but have received no assistance other than ‘Turn off 5G’ on wired printers and them blaming the network which I have a Ubiquiti Dream Machine Pro which reports no network problems. I am open to any and all suggestions and any help is appreciated. I never had these issues with my old provider.

Some of the troubleshooting we have done is:

• Shutting off 5G on Wi-Fi (Per Customer service)
  • Adding additional Access Point
  • Had a heatmap done to make sure it is properly set up
  • Buying and installing a new router and PoE Switch
  • Tested connections from the printers to the switch
  • Had Comcast check out the internet
  • Forget all network connections on Handhelds (A3 5G) and made dedicated 2.4Ghz network ONLY for PoS devices
  • Disabled Guest Network
  • Setting a static IP address on all devices
  • Set up Keep Alive on printers
  • Setup OFFLINE PRINT messages on printers (not received any)
  • Turned on Guided Access on iPads to prevent network changes

Please HELP!

Message 10 of 17

Thank you for your response. To be fully transparent, our engineers have the ability to look into issues like this from a more technical aspect, using the tools they have available on their end, such as logs and diagnostic reports, that our Customer Support Advocates and I, as a Community Moderator do not have access to. Additionally, it sounds like you have already exhausted all the available troubleshooting steps. Perhaps another Seller who has experienced this same issue will be able to chime in and share their solution.

If someone you have already spoken to has escalated this issue to our engineering team, they should be providing you updates by email until this has been resolved. If you haven't heard back in a bit, I would suggest replying to the last email you received from our Support Team and this will be routed to the advocate you are working with.

Violet
Message 11 of 17

Hi there, @stephboehm - thank you for reaching out and bringing this to our attention. Sorry to hear of your frustrating experience thus far. 

For this issue, we'll need you to connect with our Support Team so they can gather the information required to create a support ticket, as we cannot access your Square account information here in the Seller Community. Then, our engineers can investigate this further. If you haven't already, please reach out to Support directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

Violet
Message 12 of 17
Beta Member

Hmmmm, I don’t know why I didn’t think of that?!? Looking through all of these posts, that seems to be your canned response. I’ve already reached out to a half a dozen people at Square including support several times, my sales rep, and the guy that I paid Square $2700 to have here on our live day. I’ve been told multiple times that it’s being escalated to engineering but still don’t have a resolution. I thought maybe someone on this thread could provide some insight because I’m starting to believe nobody at Square knows what’s going on 🤦🏻‍♀️

Message 13 of 17

This is a big problem! Crickets so far from Square...

Message 14 of 17

It’s so bad with us if it doesn’t get fixed asap I will be moving away from square. 

Message 15 of 17
Beta Member

This issue was resolved for us thankfully. It was acknowledged by Square as an issue but I'm not aware of what engineering did to get to resolution.

We now get notifications on the POS when a ticket may fail to print.

Are you using Square for Restaurants? @JJ_ can you help this customer?

Message 16 of 17
Super Seller

I’m going to add that I started getting this message recently, also.  It’s definitely one of those messages that is almost impossible to miss! As it should be. Ha.  I noticed it when I was having issues with a FreshKDS device that couldn’t connect to the internet for some reason.  So I know it not only works for physical printers, but virtual ones, too.

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 17 of 17