x

Square Point of Sale

I have had a Square POS for several years, but haven't used it very much.  I'm getting ready for a craft show & tried testing my Square.  Wouldn't read any cards.  I have a newer cell phone....and it doesn't have a phone jack.  Purchased a little "jumper cord"....still wouldn't work.  Bought a new Fire Tablet....with a jack, still won't read a card.  Bought a new Square.....and it still won't read a card.  What am I doing wrong.   I can manually enter a card...and it processes.  TIA.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Kathywbb - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Sorry to hear that you've run into some difficulty when trying to get your to accept payments.

I'm more than happy to help you with some troubleshooting.

Quick Question: Are you trying with the same reader or different readers each time? 

Make sure you’re using a supported device.

Check that the Square app has access to your device’s microphone. This access allows your device to detect the reader.

Remove your device’s case, firmly plug in the reader and swipe again. Some phone cases prevent the reader from plugging in all the way.

With the Square app open, unplug the reader and firmly plug it back in.

Update the Square app.

Delete and reinstall the app on your device. See Apple support or Google support for instructions. Note:If you’ve recently accepted payments in Offline Mode and haven’t uploaded them, don’t delete and reinstall the app or you’ll lose these transactions. Connect your mobile device to the Internet to complete these payments before deleting the app.

Temporarily disable Bluetooth from your device settings.

Check for lint or dust in your headset jack or Lightning connector. If you find debris, pull it out or blow carefully into the jack.

Wipe the metal connector with a cloth. Residue can collect and prevent the reader from making a proper connection.

Check for corrosion inside your headset jack or Lightning connector. If you see a green color, that’s evidence of corrosion, and you may need to take your device in for service.

Clear debris from the card reader slot with a card reader cleaning card or a paper towel.

Let me know if this helps at all.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 3
Super Seller

I assume you are trying to use a magnetic stripe reader as you say it needs a headphone jack.  What phone are you using? 

I have seen people be able to use the lightning to headphone adapter that came with earlier iPhones when the transition away from headphone jacks started.  If you are on android, I have seen some people use USB-c to headphone adapters but it isn't officially supported so some work and some don't.  A fire tablet definitely will not work without some extra modification as FireOS is not supported.  M

Make sure the phone is giving permission to the Square app to access the headphone jack.  I would delete the app and restart your phone then reinstall it.  that should bring up the Operating system prompts on what to allow access to.  In iPhone settings under the app, there are places to toggle on and off access.  

Message 3 of 3