x

Strange network printer issue

I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior and if not how should I fix. 

We have square set up, been using it for 4 days now, so we're still very new but getting by ok so far and this is not related to square but I'm wondering if anyone else has this experience. 

I tried to connect a network printer to my laptop that is in the office here. To be clear, not a printer that has anything do do with square but a cannon network printer so I could print reports etc. to it from a new laptop. In windows 10 when you go through the routine to install a new printer it scans the network looking for all available network printers. While windows was looking for network printers the staff started hollering about drawers not opening, order tickets not printing etc, I was able to get them all reset by turning the printers off and back on but then I wondered if my trying to install a new printer on the laptop caused the issue. So I tried it again and sure enough, knocked most of the order/receipt printers offline until I restarted them. 

Why does it do that and is there a solution cuz this is going to happen again I'm sure. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

Hello @Elks409, this sounds super weird. Do you happen to know what frequency the printer for your computer operates on? 

Message 2 of 6

Sorry, I forgot to come back and check for replies and I don't personally receive the emails from here....long story. 

I'm not sure what you mean by "Do you happen to know what frequency the printer for your computer operates on?"

This canon printer is not wireless and is actually plugged into network via ethernet but the Win10 setup routine scans for all network printers and somehow knocks them off the network until you shut them off and turn them back on. It is weird but most likely won't be an issue as not many would be trying to install a printer here that often. 

Message 3 of 6
Admin

Thanks for your reply @Elks409. Helen here jumping in for Chad. 

I'm sorry for the confusion. Chad asked about the frequency because it sounded like you were using a wireless printer. 

But it definitely sounds like the Canon printer is causing your other printers to be disconnected. It might be worth contacting your network provider to ask if there any other restrictions/limitations to using a Canon printer (or any other printer) with your laptop as well as your other receipt printers all on one network. Your provider should also be able to help you troubleshoot too if needed.

Also, @VanKalkerFarms @RHatch just wondering if you've had any similar issues like this in any of your locations? Any tips would be much appreciated! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

I have not and I have other ethernet printers, I'm wondering if this was related to the network printer bug in Square POS since this was originally posted a month ago and has since been fixed.

Message 5 of 6
Admin

Thank you @VanKalkerFarms! And yes, that's a very good point.

@Elks409 can you make sure that you've updated the app the latest version on your devices?  A fix for that bug was included in a latest version of the app, which is today is 4.82.1. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 6