x
Beta Member

Subscriptions not charging card on file

I have a monthly subscription that customers can add a card on file. In the last few months, a customer has a card on file, but the subscription says it's not on file and won't charge the customer. 

Once the invoice is created, I can manually process the subscription with the card on file. When I try and edit the subscription for the customer, I can't choose a card on file, and the system wants me to put the card manually in. What am I doing wrong?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @Heartsonfiber

Is this happening to a particular customer or is it happening to all of your subscriptions? 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 4
Beta Member

It happens when a customer needs to change their credit card. We add the new one to the account. The card is saved on file but doesn't transfer to the subscription. I can't select it when I edit the subscription, but I can run the payment manually once an invoice is created. I have to do this with many customers now.

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

In this case, the Subscription creates a Requiring Invoice series. Whenever a customer needs to update their card on file you would need to visit the recurring invoice assigned to the specific customer and edit it so it charges a different card on file from now on.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4