x

Taxes not showing up for event item

I have the sales tax set for event tickets but the sales tax is not applying during checkout. It shows as zero tax. 

I have quadruple-checked all the settings and it's just not working as it should. Is there an obscure setting I may be missing in the setup? Changing it to a physical item doesn't help. 

If I change it to a physical item it shows as not available even though there is inventory and it is set to VISIBLE. 

Thank you in advance for your help. 

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @tbcme1, thank you for posting and welcome to the Community 👋

The taxes set up in Square settings through Account & Settings > Business information > Sales tax don't apply to payment links created in the Dashboard.

You need to enable Sales Tax separately for Payment Links:

1. From your online Square Dashboard, select Payment Links.
  2. Go to Settings > General.
  3. Under Automatic settings, toggle on Apply sales tax 

You will find more information about Payment Links on our Support Center. Or feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

heyy,  maybe can you check if the tax is applied for the specific item?

Message 2 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hi @IASA

I would recommend also checking to make sure you are not including tax in the item price under Square Online Overview page : Settings > Taxes.

I'm also including this tax setup guide for you online store in case you need to reference it. 😊

p.s. Welcome to the Community 🎉

Message 3 of 11

2 years later, this is still not fixed.

Message 4 of 11
Super Seller

@emsroth 

Do you have a screen shot of your Tax settings?

Are you referring to Online taxes, or in person sales? 

There is a setting, I forget where that you can toggle to have Sales Taxes enabled / Disabled for new Items.

There is also a Setting were Taxes are in the Sales Price already or you can toggle this so Tax is applied to be added to an items price based on the settings your setup.

My tax settings are working fine.  Maybe you can explain more What is still not Fixed and how your Taxes are setup.

Here is more on setting up Sales Taxes Settings : 5061-create-and-manage-your-tax-settings 

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 5 of 11

Online taxes. My POS taxes are just fine. 

I can take an item from the POS and make it an online item, and it doesn't charge tax.

Also, different things are taxes differently, so why can't I carry over the taxes from the POS into the online store? WTF.

Message 6 of 11
Super Seller

@emsroth ;

I do not use Square for my online store so why they do not transfer I am not sure.

In general with online taxes, if the sale is not in your state then taxes may not be charged. 

So for my online store, if a person from another state buys and has the item delivered out of state, my store also does not charge sales tax.  Sales tax for my online store only shows up when Items are purchased from a PA resident and delivered in PA.  So I am not sure if the Online sales tax is for your locals or out of state orders.

Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 7 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey @emsroth I am sorry you are continuing to have issues with your taxes and understand your concern about being able to carry over the taxes. I would certainly reach out to our Square Online Team at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport so we can take a deeper dive into your tax settings and if needed they can file a ticket. I know this isn't easy and appreciate you working with us to resolve this! 

Message 8 of 11

I am having the same problem. I set up an event through my square, set the tax as F&B copied the link to order online and pasted into my website, however, when people are purchasing my tickets through my site via the link to the square site, it is showing no taxes are being charged. This is real issue when you start getting into liquor licensing requirements. All items are set to add tax at checkout, it is not set as not taxable...help please.

Message 9 of 11
Admin

Best Answer

Hi @tbcme1, thank you for posting and welcome to the Community 👋

The taxes set up in Square settings through Account & Settings > Business information > Sales tax don't apply to payment links created in the Dashboard.

You need to enable Sales Tax separately for Payment Links:

1. From your online Square Dashboard, select Payment Links.
  2. Go to Settings > General.
  3. Under Automatic settings, toggle on Apply sales tax 

You will find more information about Payment Links on our Support Center. Or feel free to let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 10 of 11
Beta Member

There is no "Automatic Settings" or any option to toggle for sales tax in the payment links section. I am having the same issue and it is very frustrating!

Message 11 of 11