x

Using Square on an Ipad outdoors

I have a garden center and our checkout stand is outdoors.  We have been having a problem with the Ipad sticking or locking up and not being able to scroll through our items while checking out customers.  Imagine trying to scroll through a list of items and the screen doesn't move and sometimes it causes us to select the wrong item.  I have tried a different Ipad and switched internet services, however, the problem persists.  I am starting to wonder if outdoor heat and humidity are the reason.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have experienced the same.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

@fischmanc I’m attaching a screen shot to Apple’s operating specifications for iPads, located here — https://support.apple.com/kb/SP580?locale=en_US

You’ll note the information I circled in red.  Also, you should note that while 95 is the upper limit, iPads will start acting up if the temperature is consistently above 90 or below 40, or if the humidity is consistently high.  That is just a function of the fact that they don’t have internal fans, and something all electronics are subject to.

One more thing I’ll add from experience.  I have an iPad as a KDS inside, but it is subject to constant deposits of sugar and other foreign substances on the screen.  I have to clean the screen at the beginning of the day, and often 2-3 times throughout the day.  That is the price of convenience.

Best,

4CE52128-E077-449A-918E-0E68B3C3860F.jpeg

Chip

If my answer resolves your issue, please take a minute to mark it as Best Answer. That helps people who find this thread in the future.

Piper’s Ice Cream Bar, Covington KY USA
Website
Facebook
Click here to see a list of third-party apps I use to add functionality to my Square account!

जो है सो है
Message 2 of 2