x

Why can't I process payments from a specific device?

Hi, 

Everything appears to check out, except the basic function of the app. 

Wifi is good, other devices using the same reader work, the app has been uninstalled and reinstalled, appears to be up to date, allowed the primary user to sign in to his account, doesn't scream about being unable to connect to the server, AND STILL, when we try to run a card, the app fails to do so claiming a connectivity error - while the same device is playing Pandora.

Any ideas at all? Seems like a 1 and a 0 got mixed up somewhere, but if reinstalling the app doesn't do it, and all other function checks out on the device, I'm at a loss.

Thanks in advance for any help whatsoever, I'm ready to lobotomize myself over this.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Admin

Hey @Ajferguson! 💫

So sorry to hear about this. Have you been able to get the app to work with any other device? I want to determine if this is a device or an app or an account issue. 

I would also try/ensure the following:

1) Be sure to enable the permissions requested when you open the Square app. This access allows the Square app to communicate with your device to complete payments.

2) Make sure that both your mobile device and Square app are up-to-date.

Then, please let me know what device this is occurring on.

Hope to hear from you soon! 👩🏼‍💻

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 2 of 7

Good questions - other devices run the app on the same wifi with the same reader, no issue. The same device runs the app on the home wifi, no issue. All permissions are enabled, all updates installed, the device in question is an iPad that was new in the box at the beginning of the year.

It's one specific circumstance, that happens to significantly hamper business, where the iPad, the app, the reader, the wifi, and the server, all of which work perfectly fine in every other configuration, don't want to play nice. 

There was a nasty ice storm that knocked out power, before which this was all working together, but precisely because we've troubleshot everything we can think of from our end and the iPad was never at risk of a surge, I can't imagine that caused a surgically precise file corruption on the device. The modem was hooked up to power, so I suppose it's possible there, but again, all other functionality is present.

Thanks again!

Message 3 of 7
Admin

@Ajferguson can you determine the device in question is compatible with Square? I know it's an iPad, so it probably is - but I'd still love to confirm. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 4 of 7

Again, it not only works at home, it used to work at the barbershop for the roughly three months that had passed since it's purchase, so while I hadn't seen that page before, and I don't have the exact model in front of me (I'm trying to resolve this for my dad, who actually has the iPad), I have to conclude the answer is yes it is compatible with Square.

I'll double check when it's convenient that the particular gen/model are explicitly listed as compatible per the link there, but let's assume I'm on the money - what's the next possibility we might address?

Message 5 of 7
Admin

Please give our Support Team a call as they may be able to troubleshoot further.

If that doesn't work, please circle back to this thread with the following:

1) Exact make and model of the device.

2) A screenshot of the error message. 

3) The iOS version you're running on the iPad. 

Thank you and so sorry about this!

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 6 of 7

I regret ever bringing my question here. I’ve gotten no useful answers, and nearly six months later I’m receiving spam marketing emails as a result of asking. If you’re considering registering here in order to bring up a concern with Square, just use Twitter instead - it can’t be less effective.

Message 7 of 7