x
Beta Member

iPad POS --> Square Terminal - Split Payment work around?

Hey Group, has anyone figured out a workaround for a split payment when using the iPad POS connected to Square Terminal? This is a REAL PROBLEM.

Example: customer comes in with $5 gift card for a $10 order we need to pay the rest via credit card. The "split Payment" option is greyed out.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Super Seller

@kmacmmurchy I know this may not be the workaround you are looking for, but I know you can still take the rest of the payment with the chip reader/swipe/or manual entry.  The system looks at the terminal as a form of payment, but when you split the terminal doesn't get the info for the first payment so you might end up with some problematic receipt issues.  I think it is a limitation of the system at this point.  For me personally, I can handle this limitation as it is not super common for me.  I handle it by training the cashiers to know not to send to the terminal if it is a split payment or the person pulls out a gift card.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 13
Beta Member

So if you don't send it to the terminal where does the customer swipe the card?

Message 3 of 13
Super Seller

@kmacmmurchy Are you using a square stand or just an ipad?  I am using the square stand along with the terminal so I have a chip/dip contactless reader installed along with the swipe part of the stand.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 13
Beta Member

I'm just using an iPad Pro wireless to my Terminal.

Message 5 of 13
Square Community Moderator

Hello @kmacmmurchy,

Great to see you posting in the Seller Community again, welcome back! 😊

Just wanted to let you know, that I have confirmed with our product managers that this is a feature request. Split tender functionality is not yet supported with using the terminal/iPad connection.

As a work around, to accept split tender payments, you will need to connect a Square Reader to your POS device to complete the payment.

I can see how this may be a helpful and necessary function for you and users alike. Should anything change in the future, we'll be sure to update this thread. 

I look forward to reading your response! Also please let me know if you have any other questions. 😊

Frida
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 13
Beta Member

Hi Frida, so to understand this completely what steps would I take to make this work? Do I have to have the Square reader with the swipe function like the first generation one used with iPhone? As I said I don't have the Square Stand and the larger Square reader doesn't have a swipe feature. Another concern I have, is I need convenience as I was hoping to use this hardware setup for a Drive-thru I have under construction.

Also, I've ordered new gift cards with the bar codes on the them. Will I be able to connect the Bar Code Reader to the iPad and use this existing hardware setup?

Message 7 of 13

Hi @kmacmmurchy

Just to clarify, yes. The Magstripe reader is the one you plug into a tablet or phone, and this is the device you will need to plug into your iPad to initiate a split payment. 

With regards to your scanning the gift cards, as long as you have a supported scanner that functions with our software and your device, you can. I have attached this guide that provides some steps. 

Please don't hesitate to reach out further, and I hope I was able to answer your follow up questions. 😊

Frida
Message 8 of 13
Beta Member

So I guess with the Magstripe reader I would need an adapter as the iPad Pro is USB C? I assume I wouldn't need any work-around if I had the Square Register? As I said, not sure how that would work for a Drive-Thru.

Thanks

Message 9 of 13

Hey there @kmacmmurchy,

Yes you would need an adaptor. If you are operating a drive through, have you considered the Square Terminal?  It seems to be the most functional solution for what you seek, as it is an all in one device, with swipe, tap, and dip.

Also, I would strongly suggest reaching out to our Phone Support team so that they can walk you through some ideas and product suggestions.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Frida
Message 10 of 13
Beta Member

OK, so I tried this by adding a Magstripe reader, but I can swipe the Gift Card, but it still won't allow a split payment with the Terminal connected via wifi. Unless I'm missing something, this is disappointing.

Message 11 of 13
Beta Member

Just fix it already! And also, the Terminal should be able to be used as a Square printer. 

The sauce is weak.

Message 12 of 13
Beta Member

I have to use my little reader in this situation, bypass Terminal

Message 13 of 13