x
Beta Member

"New Experience" on Square Register

I noticed in last couple days that Square Register now has option to upgrade to new look. When this was introduced a few months ago (and then discontinued), we pointed out the there was a 1/2 second lag when choosing an item. It is doing it again so we have reverted to the old "experience". The Square register still will not let the network printers print "on line" . What is wrong with the Square Register. If it did not have the very useful customer screen we would not use it!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

In the new experience for the POS, Custom Amount or Keypad should not be the first in the list of categories for Square for iPad or for the Square Register. The recent change to the UI puts the Keypad first and now our clerks hit Keypad by mistake and enter a sales item as Custom Amount. We need the clerks to select the item first before entering the amount. We really need the ability to turn off Custom Amount, as there is insufficient information on the sale. I have "reverted to the previous experience" in Settings, but I get a warning that this is only a temporary change. I sincerely hope that the new UI is changed to put Keypad and Library last or include the option to turn off or passcode protect Custom Amount.

Message 2 of 6
Super Seller

I am glad I am not the only one annoyed by this!

Message 3 of 6
Super Seller

Please don't tell me this lag issue has not been fixed in 2 years. I finally relented and "upgraded'. We have two registers, one has a significant amount more lag than the other.  They are both "laggy" with the new experience!

Message 4 of 6
Super Seller

We run two square Registers.  I opened for the 2023 season on May 1. I thought this would be a good time to updated the the "new and improved" experience. 
We have found it to be slower for employees. And very much a downgrade from the "old experience"

1. It has visible lag - touch an item and wait for response.

2. It does not follow the "skip item details selection" when adding an item to a cart - it makes the employee go through the second screen

3. Its cluttered next to the "old and obsolete" experience

4. It puts the keypad and library as our top Favorite pages of choice - Note to you engineers we use these screens the least.

5. To sell a gift card you either need to go into the library

5.On the plus side it is easy to add discounts ( we dont use this a lot)

Message 5 of 6
Beta Member

I pointed this out to Square a year ago 

Hopefully if enough of us complain they might do something

Message 6 of 6