x
Beta Member

How do I set up printers in our kitchen and bar?

The title of this thread has been edited from the original

We need to set-up printers in our Kitchen and @ the Bar - has anyone hooked printers in via WiFi? Running ethernet cabling is not an option...

James Wilkinson
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Hello @JPWilkinson

Currently we only offer 4 receipt printers that connect via WiFi to the Square Stand. Currently all options will require you to connect the printer using a ethernet cable directly to your router or a LAN. 

Message 2 of 15
Beta Member

@Chad

Hey Chad! We already have Star Printers - and there is only the USB connection that connects the printer to the stand - which is why I am looking to explore a USB to WiFi option - instead of having to buy two new printers...

Please advise.

Thanks!

James Wilkinson
Message 3 of 15
Beta Member

@Chad

Hey Chad! I looked over the link you sent and tehre are no WiFi options for the printers... they are Ethernet - which is not WiFi... unless you're suggesting that Ethernet to WiFi is an option?

Please advise.

Thanks!

James Wilkinson
Message 4 of 15

@JPLWilkinson could you provide some details on what you're trying to achieve? 

Ethernet Printers connect to the Square Stand using a Wi-Fi. The name Ethernet refers to the cable required to connect the printer to a wireless network. Plugging the Ethernet cable into the router or LAN is what gives the printer the ability to connect to the wireless network and the Square Stand. 

Message 5 of 15
Beta Member

@Chad

Ethernet requires that each printer run ethernet to the router - which in our case is several hundred feet away... Our WiFi router is in the middle of the shop - and to have to run ethernet cabling - is a no go. The printers themselves are not WiFi - but connect via ethernet to a WiFi router - so they cannot be considered WiFi-enabled.

James Wilkinson
Message 6 of 15

@JPWilkinson we do not have any compatible printers that have a Wi-Fi antenna internally. If you need to connect your tablet to a receipt printer via Wi-Fi the only option is to use an Ethernet printer. 

I'm not sure what setup you're trying to achieve, so I don't have any other suggestions for you. 

Message 7 of 15
Beta Member

We want to be able to locate our printers whereever - and not have to run ethernet cables. We are currently setting up a patio - and not being able to move a printer out there - is a problem. So - having a printer that can be modded to browadcast to the WiFi network by itself or through a WiFi dongle is ideal - and I'm sure would be for most of your customers.

James Wilkinson
Message 8 of 15

@JPWilkinson Have you considered using one of the LAN printers I mentioned with Star Micronics WiFi Power Pack

Message 9 of 15
Beta Member

We have 2 - Star TSP100 FUTURE PRNT printers - I just need to confirm these will work with that power pack - which is EXACTLY what I am looking for!!!

James Wilkinson
Message 10 of 15
Beta Member

@Chad

Spoke to Star and the two printers we have are not compatible and we will need to purchase new printers. The rep suggested the WiFi printer - TSP100III WLAN - and I wonder if this would work with square or if we have to buy Ethernet printers and then the power pack on top of that? Thoughts?

James Wilkinson
Message 11 of 15

@JPWilkinson I recommend taking a look at the Star Micronics TSP143IIILAN. The other two options on our list of Supported Hardware for iPads say they work while plugged into a LAN network as well, but I'm not sure if they're compatible with the power pack. That might be a good question for Star Micronics. 

Message 12 of 15
Beta Member

@Chad

Hi Chad! Ok - so from what I've been able to piece together, your suggested printer would require the WiFi Power-Pack to also be bought for each printer - which is getting very expensive.

Question - has Square tested with the printer that Star itself is recommending? The TSP100III WLAN? It would make life a lot easier if Square itself had a WiFi printer recommendation - to save your customers time and money...

Please advise.

James Wilkinson
Message 13 of 15
Beta Member

@Chad

Hey Chad! Any news on Square releasing an approval for a tested Wi-Fi printer? We want to know what works before laying out any more money on equipment. Thanks!

James Wilkinson
Message 14 of 15

Hello @JPWilkinson, currently we are not in the process of adding additional printers. I'm sure this will change in the future and in that event we will make a product update on the Seller Community. 

Message 15 of 15