x

How do I delete a device that is deactivated or unpaired?

How do I delete a device that is deactivated or unpaired?

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Admin

Hey @ctandrews, welcome to the seller community and thanks for pointing this out!

At this time, the ability to delete an inactive device from your Devices tab isn't available. While deactivated devices will automatically filter to the bottom of your device list, I can see how being able to completely remove them would keep your online Square Dashboard tidy.

Out of curiosity, can you share more information on why you would like to delete a device that is deactivated or unpaired? I'd like to surface this with our Product Liaison team. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 17

Tom, 

As you said, tidyness mostly. And, to remove "duplicate" entries for team members who are slow to activate or are no longer with the team.

Message 3 of 17
Admin

@ctandrews, copy that — thanks for that info. We appreciate your patience as we're always working to improve based on seller feedback!

️ Tom | he/him
Message 4 of 17

@Tom --

I'd like to chime in to say that I'd love this feature, too, particularly for a non-profit I work with here: we rely on a fair number of volunteers at our regular season and two annual festival events, using Square to handle sales at the door. While the automatic sorting of deactivated items to the bottom of the list is helpful, it would be much cleaner and clearer to have them hidden entirely from view, or in an archive folder, or -- preferably -- properly removed altogether.

Thanks for the superb product and fine customer service.

Message 5 of 17
Admin

Hey @iainsg, welcome to the seller community!

Still no updates on this feature yet, but I will be sure to point out that it would be particularly helpful for non-profit organizations. Thank you for taking the time to share, and for your continued patience. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Message 6 of 17

Adding a voice here too. We run tests and simulations for new tools, yes? New employee trainings, even to just run a demonstration. Once we're done, we simply store them away so they dont get in our routine way. I was really annoyed to find I can't even reactivate my deactivated devices so that I can change it's names, let alone delete them. We keep things tidy to a certain purpose, efficiency. I thought this should be a common goal and hope this can be a plus reason for Product Liaison Team. Thank you.

Message 7 of 17

Hello @ini_andri

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback! I will make sure to flag your post so the product team can take a look. I can see that this is a pain point for a few sellers and I can agree that not being able to rename the deactivated ones is less than ideal. 

If you have any questions I would be happy to help! 😃

Message 8 of 17

Very much a Pain Point! Please fix.

Message 9 of 17

I recently closed down one of my businesses and used all my square equipment in my primary business. its just confusing to see you can not also delete entirely a secondary location and devices. This just got me all confused when setting up everything in my primary store and we had to just resetup everything since we had regiter names identical but for different locations. EXAMPLE (Main Register or Backup Register). 

Message 10 of 17
Square Community Moderator

@KiloG I see how that can be confusing. There's nothing new to report on this feature request at this time. If anything comes up we'll definitely let everyone know 👍🏼

Message 11 of 17

I have an even BETTER question, instead of deleting deactivated devices how do I delete an actual activated device while not in control of the device itself, for instance a device in the controls of a sinister employee?...

After activating another device linked to my account under my name in order for an employee to ring up customers, I was toying with the application when I suddenly realized all that employee had to do was pull up the app and had access to (sensitive) information  like routing numbers for example. I also question the obvious possibility of temporarily putting  their own backup card for instant deposit and immediately depositing funds into an alternate account! This is in theory of course I never tried it, but hopefully there's some type of authentication authorization before being allowed to carry out this entire process. Any feedback??...

Message 12 of 17

Hello @Dynamite! I would like to welcome you to the Seller Community! 

This is a real concern that I'm sure other business owners have and thank you for bringing it up! The simple solution is to utilize our Employee Management feature.  This feature allows you to restrict an employees access on Square Point of Sale! That way you don't have to worry about them seeing sensitive information and you can shut off their access at any time.  🙂

Message 13 of 17

Excellent thanks! BTW quick response for a weekend post.

Message 14 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

I stead of deactivating the device code I just reset the code. Then I can rename and use it again later. This works for me. 

Message 15 of 17

So, I have an issue with deactivating a device... I had a manager that set up a temp employee with a device code, but I want to make that employee a permanent team member. Whether or not their device is activated, I cannot add them as a team member because the "email is already in use." How do I make the device manager completely forget their email so that I can add them as a team member?

Message 16 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @medusasartnsoul I see this is your first post, Welcome to The Seller Community! It's always nice to have a new face. For this inquiry we will need to look at account and team members' information as well, to protect your account security we cannot do that through this forum. Please reach out to Customer Support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport. Please reach out if anything else is needed. Thank you!

Message 17 of 17