x

I'd like to disable cash as a payment option

Earlier this year, our restaurant made the decision to stop accepting cash as a form of payment.  The rate of cash payments has been declining every year and once it got to only 10-15% of our sales, the move was fairly painless.  We are certainly not the first business to go cashless, but we do believe that this will be a trend that continues.  Our operations are more streamlined now, we've saved on some labor costs and not having to go to the bank to make change and deposits has been a total relief!

BUT, our cashiers still accidentally ring up a sale as cash from time to time...something apparently not that difficult to do when a customer is using a contactless payment method: i.e., no card, and no cash.  While this is certainly a training issue, if I could just disable cash as a payment option it wouldn't happen at all.  Thanks.

Message 1 of 9
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: I'd like to disable cash as a payment option.

8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller Alumni

Sorry at this time there is now option to disable payment types on the Square Point of Sale app.

Message 2 of 9

And it’s like “why not?”

Message 3 of 9
Square Community Moderator

@grundybin There hasn't been any new developments on this, but this isn't the first time our Product Team has heard this request. 

I'll pass along the interest and if anything comes up I'll chime back in. 

In the meantime, I’d suggest swiping your customer’s card the moment a sale has been completed, rather than tapping the Charge button – eliminating that extra step (and all of the other tender options it presents) can help with this issue.

Message 4 of 9

Please add us to the list as well as a customer who desires this. This is a major challenge for us as we hire 20-30 temporary staff members at our events which is difficult to retrain when this comes up. Thank you.

Message 5 of 9
Alumni

I've added your request too, @WorldVentures! Thanks for chiming in and we'll be sure to bring this up with our product team. 

Message 6 of 9

Would also like this feature in a product update soon!

Message 7 of 9

We need this as well.  For some reason, while we had no issues for a couple of years - we now have had 2 transactions within a week that did not recognize the credit card and went through as cash payments.

If disabling Cash as an option is not possible, can Square please share the steps which would alert our staff to transactions going through as Cash payments (when they are not) and some ways to eliminate this problem?  Thanks.

Message 8 of 9
Partner

Message 9 of 9