x

I will be using Square for our high school concession stand. What is the best product to use?

I would like to use square for our school concession stands. I haven't purchased anything, so i need help deciding what to get. Purchases will be both cash and/or card. I'm afraid of getting just one set up because it will cause our lines to be wayyy to long. I'd like to be able to run two seperate lines. Can I do this using the same inventory? What would be the best product for doing this? Feel free to ask me questions for clarification.

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

hi @bhostetter,

Youc an use the Square Stand (register) which would do both assuming you want to give receipts, take credit cards and have a cash drawer.

If you use a couple of cash boxes and don't need the fancy integration, especially if you are not open all the time, might think about just using a couple of devices, Tablets or phones, and ring up your sales.  If a CC is used you can still use the chip reader, and not pay $1,000 for the square stand/register.  Key here is there is no receipt printer but they can be sent via text or email.

Yes you can use multiple devices on the same account and using the same inventory.

Hope this helps,

Bob

Message 2 of 10

Thanks for the information and so quickly! If I have two devices can they both store the inventory, basically can they work synomously? I would hate to have to set up two completely different accounts with inventory.  I can't decided on the usb cash box, i think that it might help with accountability with the cash, since the people using this will be high school students.

I don't plan on using a reciept printer. 

Message 3 of 10

Yes they can use the same and you can have multiple devices working simultaneously.

As for the cash box, if you are having multiple people using the same "register" than you kind of defeat the accountability.

My person suggestion would look like this.

Say there are three windows (lines)

Have three cash boxes and 3 devices running Square POS.  Each device logged in will track the sales for that person and you can use that to balance their cash box.

Message 4 of 10

That makes a lot of sense. Would it make sense to by the stand and the cash box? instead of the POS setup that has the printer. Also, it is worth it to get the usb cash box, assume it opens automatically with cash purchases instead of manually?

Message 5 of 10

It does but it also depends on how much you are going to use it.

If this is a concenssion you do for a few games, probably not worth the cost at $1,000 each.  If this is something you do for hours daily then it would be easier to use and manage.  The nice thing about the stand is that you have it to swing the ipad around to the customer so they can sign for their transactions and back to you.  It looks more professional and is in a location, usually on top of the cash drawer.  The cash drawer opens when you complete the transaction (just like a cash register) and is designed to be stationary.

Message 6 of 10

The usage will be for about 15 min. afterschool everyday, which isn't super busy. Then on weekends during sports seasons, which isn't even every weekend.

Message 7 of 10

I think you just have to ask yourself if $1000 per register set up is worth it when you can do essentially the same thing with a coupe if ipads and a cash box.  If you were giving receipts, I would definately say yes.

We have an Ice Cream Shoppe that is open 10-hours every day and we have found that 98% of the time people do not want a receipt.  During busy times we can just add an additional Ipad or Phone to the mix and take orders and process payments.

Message 8 of 10
Super Seller

there is no need to buy the $999 Square Register or spend $1,000 on a setup.

A Simple Square Stand and Ipad cost $350 together.  add a USB cash drawer and you're at $550 maybe less depending on price on Amazon.  if you don't want receipts that saves you a couple hundred.  You could use a manual cash drawer (that can also be used with a printer to make it automatic) and save $100.  Or you could use no cash drawer and have a cash box and that's like $20.

Message 9 of 10

I agree, thats alot of money to basically get an printer, seems to make more since to buy 2 stands w/ card reader and the 2 usb cash drawers.  Thank you so much for your help!

Message 10 of 10