x
Square

Square Appointments App: The Update Guide

Hello! We’re in the process of rolling out the latest version of the Appointments app for iOS (3.0) and we wanted to let you know what sort of changes to expect. While the list is a little long, I think you’ll be pretty excited about the functionality we’re introducing! Here we go:  

App Upgrade Logout: Since we packed so many changes in the latest update, you’ll need to sign back in after the download. If you’re not certain what your login details are, you might want to hold off on the update until after the business day. If you’ve misplaced your password (we’ve all been there), you can learn how to reset your password from our Support Center.

Hardware: Just like the Square Point of Sale app, you’ll be able to use the same Square Readers with the Appointments App. If you are using a Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader, you’ll have to re-pair it with the new app, but we’ll walk you through that process following the app update. If you do run into any issues, you can check out our Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting.

Navigation Bar: Similar to what you’ve always seen inside of the Square Point of Sale app, we’re introducing a side-navigation bar in the Appointments app. In addition to Calendar, Clients, and Settings, you’ll also be able to access a number of other features without maneuvering to another app. Take a look:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 9.50.48 AM.png

Calendar: You can view, manage, and check out your appointments directly from the Calendar tab. You might think that nothing much here has changed, but you should take a look at the new experience when tapping the Checkout button-- In the new version, you’ll be prompted to take a payment directly from the app, rather than switching into Square Point of Sale.

IMG_0943.PNGIMG_0944.jpgIMG_0945.PNGIMG_0946.PNG

Once the appointment is checked out, this status will be reflected in your calendar. The new calendar helps color code your appointments based on their status, so you can more easily view which ones are checked out, upcoming, or pending.

Checkout: Have to take a one-off payment from a client? You can hop into the Checkout tab and take ad hoc payments on the fly.

Refunds: Since you now have access to the Transactions tab with the introduction of the navigation bar, you’ll be able to issue refunds right inside the Appointments app. If you need a refresher, learn now to issue a refund.

Offline Mode: Since we’ve brought checkout into the Appointments app, we’re also introducing the ability to enable Offline Mode from the Settings tab. If you know you’ll be in situation with limited internet connection, learn more about Offline Mode and how to use it.

Reporting: From the Reports tab, you’ll be able to access sales history and deposit information directly from the app. Learn more about in-app summaries and reports.

Employee Sales Tracking: To track your staff sales, manage time cards, and limit permissions, you’ll now be utilizing the features of Employee Management. If you’re already signed up for Employee Management, the cost of these features is included in your monthly subscription to Appointments. Learn more about getting started with Employee Management.

Time cards: You’ll be able to create a staff member, assign them a passcode, and then track their hours. Learn how to get started with Time Cards.

Updates to Roles: We’ve updated our Staff Roles to better relate to the types of jobs that people do in Appointment-based businesses. Now, you’ll also be able to further customize these roles by editing your permission groups from Square Dashboard. Here’s a guide the new naming structure:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 9.55.42 AM.pngNote: All of the above pre-set permission groups will automatically have Access Mobile Point of Sale enabled, with limited access. Learn more about about Employee Permissions.

Locations: While you were able to switch locations in-app on the previous version of Square Appointments, you will need to sign out and then back in again to switch between locations. We know this isn’t ideal, but it’s definitely something on our radar as an improvement!

Loyalty: Clients will still be able to accrue stars and earn rewards from your sales, but in order to view and update your customer’s Loyalty status, you’ll need to to switch to the Point of Sale app and access these details from the Customers tab. Learn more about using Loyalty.

Taxes: Taxes will automatically apply to items sold through the Appointments app. To add sales tax to a service, you’ll need to manually enable for each service during the checkout flow.

Since we’re slowly rolling this update out to everyone, if you don’t see it right way, it should be there soon. While we don’t have a way to speed this part up, it’ll be worth the wait!

We’re very excited to see this update make it to you and want to know what you think! As always, comments are welcome (and encouraged).

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 1 of 32
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Amazing updates!!! Thanks for posting. 🙂 I'm so excited to try these new features out! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 32
31 REPLIES 31

Best Answer

Amazing updates!!! Thanks for posting. 🙂 I'm so excited to try these new features out! 

Message 2 of 32

That's awesome!  I'm wondering if there is an update on the way that allows clients to view the multiple appointments they make with our business.  I've gotten feedback that you can just cancel or reschedule appointments, but for those who pre-book multiple appointments they cannot view them and double check dates

Message 3 of 32

I just updated my app on my IPad and it's not loading the calender. It's giving me an error that says: [saureup.api.sync.sync_error_code]: UNAUTHORIZED

Message 4 of 32
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Vibe666

That sounds a bit strange. 

This could be caused by signing in with staff member accounts that are set up on Appointments but haven't been granted access. 

Can you confirm you're signing in to an account that has full access to Square Appointments? 

Message 5 of 32

Yes. I have updated 2 different iPads appointments app. One is the Owner account and one is a full access account. 

Message 6 of 32
Square Community Moderator

@Vibe666 Thanks for clarifying. 

Can you reach out to our Support Team directly?

Our Appointments Support team will need to walk through a few things with you. 

They'll be able to figure out exactly what's happening from there. 

Message 7 of 32

Yes, I am in the process as we speak! Thank you! 

Message 8 of 32
Square

@Vibe666 I just shot you a reply. We can definitely sort this out quickly. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 9 of 32
Beta Member

Called support about this, but wanted to mention that being able to disable microphone access while still being able to use the app would be fantastic, as we use a staff room iPad for playing music AND viewing the upcoming appointments. Especially with the changeover from magstripe to chip, it seems like it could be time to allow the app to function without microphone access.

Message 10 of 32
Square

Love the suggestion. I've definitely heard this request before in the past. If you want to subscribe to this thread, we'll be sure to share any future updates. If you have any other feedback/suggestions about the app, let us know! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 32

Solo-proprietor Massage Therapist here. I love Square, and Square Appointments. I recommend both all of the time! I have seen this request before, and was just wondering if it is something that would be available in the near future: The ability for the client to enter a promo code when booking appointments online? Would be very helpful especially during the holiday season since a lot of us will probably be running several different specials as we get closer to Christmas. Thank you!  

Message 12 of 32
Square

@ButterflyKisses Love this request too! While this probably won't be something that happens before the holiday season, I'd encourage you to subscribe to the thread that covers this request. We'll be sure to update it in the future. Also, thanks for taking the time to share. It's important for us to hear out what our sellers want to see us build next! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 13 of 32

Great updates. Any idea on when the Appointment app will be available for the Android OS?

Message 14 of 32

Looks really fantastic. Too bad I'm an Android user. I know so many folks who would switch to Square in a heartbeat as soon as Andriod is supported. 

Message 15 of 32
Square

@Derma6 @massagesci An Android app is one of our most popular feature requests, so you're definitely not alone with this ask. The Product Manager for Appontments, @Devon, recently posted an update on this very topic! Check out that thread.  I'd also suggest subscribing to it for future updates. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts. Hope to hear more from you in the future! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 16 of 32
Beta Member

Unfortunately, it is still not worth $25 per month to me. I already pay $25 per month for loyalty. Wish Square would just charge that much for both products. Also, I'm an Android user. Looks like I need to start thinking about switching to iPhone because it seems no one wants to support Android. 

Message 17 of 32

As far as the loyalty, will that require a separate subscription or is it included with the appointments app?

Message 18 of 32
Beta Member

They are separate 😞 I feel ya'!

Message 19 of 32

Thats great improvements. When will you offer group classes enabled so clients can book online ex: 3/10 slots have been booked for our 6 pm yoga class. 

When will you add the auto-deduct option ex: buy a 10 pack of massages, everytime you book a massage Jon Smith it will auto-deduct from your 10 pack purchased. Jon Smith your appointment is set, you have 4 remaining massages etc. 

THIS IS VITAL!!!!!! 

Message 20 of 32

There needs to be a way to change a client's recurring appointment on a one-off basis.

For example, I have a recurring appointment set with a client every Monday at 1:15pm. This week, however, I needed to change our appointment to 3pm. There seems to be no option to only change THAT appointment without altering the rest of the series. It gives me a prompt that says "This is a recurring appointment. Update Series? or Cancel?" This is a bit cumbersome, because I have to update the entire series, and then go to the next weeks' appointment and reset the rest of them to the original time... Come on guys...

Message 21 of 32