x

Reporting on Partial Payment Invoices

Reporting on Partial Payment Invoices

With new fall 2018 new feature we can now issue an invoice into parts.   A customer can put a deposit down and partially pay for a total.   

What I found:    On our Janurary End of Month my account said we have unaccounted for extra money in our bank account.   The Reason:   There is no reporting on the sales report of this money whatsoever for deposits paid to partially pay an invoice.   

To elaborate:   If i issue a $1000 invoice with two payments,  $500 due now and $500 due in 6 months   when the client pays the $500 the invoice now shows in invoicing as "partially paid" .   The $500 is then deposit on our next deposit into our bank.   There is NO RECORD under the sales reporting of this $500.   The only record is the deposit report which gives a daily grand total, does not break out what invoices are in that deposit or transaction #'s    What if i had (10) $500 deposits paid that day?   I'd have no way to break out which was paid.   The only to know the source of that $500 in my bank account is to actually look in invoices, find the "partially paid" invoice by clicking each one to find the correct one.   What we do get is the deposit paid email which is what we are currently using to record that $500 to our accounting.    

What would be helpful:    Adding a line to the sales report stating deposit paid so on a monthly/daily sales report i know how much total amounts of deposits are paid so we can reconcile properly to match the deposits going in.

**I searched for a bit to find a thread matching this and was unsuccessful.   If someone already has a discussion going please tag it.

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Transaction reports

@amccurdy - I can definitely see how partial payments with Square Invoices can throw you off and make for a frustrating experience when balancing your books.

While partial payments toward an invoice are posted to your deposit reports, they will not appear in your sales summary until it's fully paid unfortunately. 

You're not the only Seller that has noticed this pain-point and we're working make improvements to Invoices as it relates to Reporting. 

We'll keep you posted here with any updates. Thanks for your patience! 

Verified Answer

Re: Reporting on Partial Payment Invoices

@Woodroe99 Thank you for posting this feature request. (There isn't an existing post about this as partial deposits with Square Invoices is sill relatively new.)

The Invoices team is already working to improve the reporting for parital deposits and I'll surface your experience them to them as well - thank you very much for the detail. I can't share a timeline here in the Community but we'll udpate this thread to keep you informed of any developments. 

In the meantime, you can view your paid partial deposits from the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard. Click All Invoices and select Outstanding > you'll see the status for partial deposits as 'Partially Paid'. 

17 Comments
Admin

@Woodroe99 Thank you for posting this feature request. (There isn't an existing post about this as partial deposits with Square Invoices is sill relatively new.)

The Invoices team is already working to improve the reporting for parital deposits and I'll surface your experience them to them as well - thank you very much for the detail. I can't share a timeline here in the Community but we'll udpate this thread to keep you informed of any developments. 

In the meantime, you can view your paid partial deposits from the Invoices section of your online Square Dashboard. Click All Invoices and select Outstanding > you'll see the status for partial deposits as 'Partially Paid'. 

I too have just encountered this problem.  I am wondering will the whole invoice be reported in sales reports once the invoice is paid?  To use the example above, I have received $500 deposit which I suppose is technically a liability right now.  When I perform the service and collect the balance, will the whole $1000 then show up in sales reports?  I am pondering just how I want to handle these transactions with the least headache......

Admin

Thanks for letting us know that this is causing problems for you too @Winton. Yes, when an invoice has been paid in full it will be visible in your Sales Report - the whole $1,000 will appear. We're still working to improve reporting for Square Invoices.

For now the best way to keep tabs on the invoices that have been partially paid you'd need to follow the steps I shared above: 

1. Navigate to the Invoices section of your online Dashboard.
  2. Use the filter at the top of the screen (click the box that says 'All Invoices' to see more filters) and then select Outstanding.
  3. You'll then see that any invoices that you have requested a deposit for will have the status 'Partially Paid'. 
Alumni
Status changed to: Has Community Team Input

[This reply was created from merging an existing thread: A partial payment not showing in my balance]

i created an invoice with a partial deposit , the client has paid the deposit and I received the email of it , but it is not in my square app yet , I wanted to deposit the amount but it does not show yet , can someone tell me why please .

thank you 

Admin

Hey @Islandmaids

I totally understand the confusion here. 

When your customer makes a partial payment (deposit) on an invoice that you created, those funds will be deposited to your account, but the transaction won't appear in your transaction report on your app. Only once the invoice is completely paid, the transaction will appear as a line item in your Sales report and Transaction Summary. 

We're working on improving our reporting for Square Invoices, specifically for partial payments 😊

I use the invoice feature to bill the Veterans Administration for services provided to veterans. Occasionally, I will receive a partial payment. Last week I recorded a $65 payment toward an $80 invoice. It shows a $15 balance, as it should. The only problem is, that payment didn't appear in my transactions for the day and now I cannot accurately sync with QuickBooks because Square didn't include the partial payment in my daily total.

I've read other threads about this issue, you'd think there would be a more seamless way of dealing with this fairly common issue.

We just started using square for heavy invoicing. It would be very beneficial to be able to pull a report and see deposits received.

Please keep us updated on this happening.

Admin

Hey @ACKzoo and @Sass-

Thanks for your comments and resurfacing this feature request. 

We will post in here when we have an update. In the meantime, we really appreciate your patience. 

In preparing some files and documents for 2020, I realized that a payment transaction does not appear on my transaction report for that day because it was a partial payment.  This is very misleading and could throw all transaction reports off for my year.  For example, if I send an invoice, agree to payment terms for this invoice to be paid in small payments that would pay in full in 2021, the transactions and sales would not show up until 2021 under the current platform.  I need to be able to pull a transaction history reports daily and know that it is accurate for payments made.  Has anyone else noticed this?  I am going to have to go back through my tax records for the past year to make sure all payments are included for the correct month.