x

Can i adjust the amount of a sale afterward?

How do I adjust an amount of a sale already made? I undercharged a client by $10 by accident. I have their permission to adjust the sale amount but I do not have their credit card. Am I able to do this without their card?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@ba - So sorry to hear about the trouble! 😕  While we don't currently offer the functionality to change the amount charged to a card after the initial authorization, you can definitely coordinate with your customer to re-run their card for the amount owed.  If you don't have their contact details, but you sent an email receipt to this customer, we can reach out to them on your behalf and request that they contact you. If you’d like us to do this, just reach out directly.

Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square

Best Answer

@ba - So sorry to hear about the trouble! 😕  While we don't currently offer the functionality to change the amount charged to a card after the initial authorization, you can definitely coordinate with your customer to re-run their card for the amount owed.  If you don't have their contact details, but you sent an email receipt to this customer, we can reach out to them on your behalf and request that they contact you. If you’d like us to do this, just reach out directly.

Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Message 2 of 8

Is there a way to add a tip on a closed split ticket with square?

Message 3 of 8
Square

Hi @buzyburrito2 — It looks like another seller had the same question, and I helped them out. Check above for my answer. 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 8

As a restaurant, we really need to be able to have the ability to make adjustments to "added" gratuities.  In some cases, servers and others make mistakes and at this point we are unable to "adjust" them.

Message 5 of 8

They are upset with the amount I charged to drive them to the airport (I should have used my Uber app which would have charged them more!). but I don't want hard feelings, so the $200 charge needs to be reduced to $150 just to clear up the situation. They live across the country, so not possible to re-swipe their card. Can Square simply reduce the amount?

Message 6 of 8

I didn't send them a receipt in email; I only have their cell phone number.

Message 7 of 8
Alumni

Hey @csgourmetgirl6 - If you are reducing the original amount, you can just partially refund the customer.

1. Visit Transactions in your Square Dashboard.
  2. Select the payment you’d like to refund > click Actions > Issue Refund.
  3. Enter the amount you want to refund and the reason for the refund.
  4. Click Refund.

Hope that helps!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 8 of 8