x

Will Square work with no Internet or network?

I was running a craft show out in the boonies and had no internet or network connection Unable to accept any payments in offline mode. Is there a way to get around this?

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yes, Square POS does work with no internet but it is at a higher risk to you since the card cannot be processed to see if it is declined.  You may have to enable offline mode while connected to the internet but I'm not sure since I don't use offline mode due to all the risk of declined cards falling on me.  The device must be connected to the internet within 72 hours of the first payment.  You must validate that the card is not expired before you process the card.

Article about Offline Mode: Process Payments with Offline Mode.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

Yes, Square POS does work with no internet but it is at a higher risk to you since the card cannot be processed to see if it is declined.  You may have to enable offline mode while connected to the internet but I'm not sure since I don't use offline mode due to all the risk of declined cards falling on me.  The device must be connected to the internet within 72 hours of the first payment.  You must validate that the card is not expired before you process the card.

Article about Offline Mode: Process Payments with Offline Mode.

Message 2 of 6

I am looking into an Italian Ice cart at the beach wifi is going to be tough as will phone access. Is there any other street vendors with this issue? What are your solutions?

Message 3 of 6
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Rlloyd 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! We are happy to have you join us.

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding how to use Square without a Network connection. Take a look at this Best Answer from this same thread! It will offer some helpful tips and workarounds.

Feel free to reach back out if you have any clarifying questions.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6

If I could access square to use off line mode, I wouldn't need to as the internet would be working. By the time I realized there was no internet it was obviously too late.

Message 5 of 6

And how does one enable the offline mode when you can't access square because there is no internet?

Message 6 of 6