x

Is there a way to create Appointment categories?

Is there a way to create Appointment categories?

Is there an option to create categories in Appointments? I have a rather long list of services and don't like that my clients have to scroll through everything to get to what they want. If not, is it a feature coming soon?

Thanks!

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to create Appointment categories?

So, there is a way to do this, but it requires embedding the list on your own website. 

In appointments, under online booking, website embed: 

"View Advanced Options" button

"Create New Widget for [your company name]"

Give this widget a name - location, day of the week, etc. Whatever will help you know what is in the list.

You can select what staff are able to be booked - so you could limit it per location

You can select which services are to be included

Save

Now you will see the widget in the "Saved Custom Widget" list.

Click view the online booking page will open displaying only the staff and services you selected. 

You can copy the link URL and either send it to clients, make a link on your business website, or embed the entire widget into your site. You can even embed several widget on the same page of your website to split up categories, dates/days, location, staff, etc, keeping all services on one page, just organized by categories. Or you can devote seperate pages to specific items/staff/etc. I created a google sites (in google drive) website to try this out. works beautifully with a google site. I haven't tried it with any other site yet.  It molds right into your webpage and keeps viewers on your site and not moving to the appointments page and missing all the other content on your website.

I hope this helps those that are really struggling with the need to have this all categorized and organized better. If you have any questions about what I've done here, please ask.

Verified Answer

Re: Appointment Categories?

I see how that would be super useful, especially when you have a wide range of services offered under one roof. We don't have that option right now but we'll announce any updates as soon as they're available. 

166 Comments

I feel the same way. Even though I'm allowed to put details, we have far too many options for clients to have to scroll down such a long list. I would think it was easier to integrate these options across the system. Why can I create categories in my register so I can find items more easily but the client can't? Shouldn't the programming be similar?

I see how that would be super useful, especially when you have a wide range of services offered under one roof. We don't have that option right now but we'll announce any updates as soon as they're available. 

I need this too!!

Yes!  I will consider  switching from my current online scheduler if they make this happen.

We need this also

Also, so that the reports reflect accurate breakdowns of categories from appointments. Right now they just show up as "Uncategorized". 

Good point made by @HavenSpaAdmin

We were just trying out the Appointments ipad app and saw that once the service is complete and sent to the Register app Register is prepopulated with the service and customer name, which is cool. But as far as analytics go, how is this organized?

We are dealing with two differnt terms for the same thing (for us).

Items - Is our library from the Register side of the app. Each item has its price.

Services - Is our library from the Appointments side of the app. Each service has it's own price also.

What happens for us when our Services and Items are the same thing?

We have a 60min facial in in our Items library and a 60min facial in our Services library.

The one difference is our Facial within the Items library is categorized under Facials. The Services library doesn't provide categories.

Since we do not have the option to create categories in Services, we had to name our service with the category name included to help customers find what they are looking for more easily. Example: Facials - GB 60min / Body - Lower Back Wax / Body - Full Back Wax.

In the Items library the word Body would not need to be in the name because there is a Body category, so the item name is just Full Back Wax. This leaves us with "Body - Full Back Wax" from Services and "Full Back Wax" from Items. Same service with us but tracked by two different verticals within Squares offerings.

@Megan How should we plan for this overlap of Items vs Services tracking, and still obtain accurate naming and analytics?

Yes, this is the biggest issue regarding having no category in appointments.  It negates some of the reporting if you want to see your services vs retail or other items you have set up in register.  We have a few different categories within services we would want to see broken out on the reports.

Also, we have some services that require state tax and within item setup in appointments you can not have items taxable.  We had to create exact duplicate service in the register so we could apply tax and get proper category set up for these items.  So now if we go to checkout from appointments and have a taxable service we then have to delete the service on the ticket and add the service item created in register and then tax is added correctly.

Square

@Skinspabyivona - Thanks a ton for taking the time to share your feedback! We'll be sure to pass it along to our Appointments Team!